Chapter Three; Tazuna the Bridgebuilder

"Our available missions consist of: babysitting, helping the elderly, mowing grass,-"

    "Hold up! This is not was I signed up for when I became a ninja! I will be the Hokage someday and I want some real missions! Believe it!" Naruto yells, cutting off the Hokage. The Hokage chuckles and the ninja with the scar across his nose begins lecturing Naruto until the Hokage holds up a hand, silencing him. "It's okay, Iruka. I'll give them a C-ranked mission. I think they can handle it." So his name is Iruka. "But Ho-" Again, the Hokage silences him. "You will be escorting a man back to his home in the Land of Waves. He's a bridge builder and of a great importance to his homeland. You will protect him from highway men, robbers, thieves, and murderers. After the bridge is completed, your mission will be deemed successful. Tazuna," He calls.

    A drunken man stumbles in, clutching a bottle of Sake. "Whatt'sss thhisss? A bunchh of snott-nosssed kidss? As if theyy could proootectt mee. And whatt about the ssshort one with the dumbb facee?" He slurs.

    When Naruto figures out Tazuna is talking about him, he screams, "I'll destroy you!" I look at him from the corner of my eye as Kakashi holds him back. "And youuu!" What'ss with that haair of yourss?" He asks, pointing his bottle-holding hand at me. I blink in response, sending him an impassive look.

    Kakashi and I head back to his apartment to pack. I sharpen my Shibuki's blade and attach a scroll of explosive tags on the other side. "So that's how it works, huh?" Kakashi says as he leans against his doorway. I nod. I cross my legs on the sofa and pack another scroll of explosive tags, kunai knives, shuriken, and bandages. I rewrap my sword and clip it across my chest as always. I fill both of my ninja pouches with kunai and shuriken. Kakashi and I trek to the gates of Konohagakure. Kakashi greets Tazuna while I look around.

    "I've never been out of the village before!" Naruto yells. I keep my eyes trained on the ground but my senses are alert. I halt my steps, further myself away from the others, when I notice a puddle. It hasn't rained since I came to Konoha. Not even on the trip here. I lift my gaze to find Kakashi shaking his head. I nod and continue walking with my senses more alert. I stay behind the Genin. I don't flinch when Kakashi's substitution is sliced to pieces.

    It happens quickly. They weren't coming after me, surprisingly enough, so I went to assist. I kick one of the brothers and Sasuke attaches the other's chain around a tree. Naruto was cut and I knew the poison was spreading. When one went after Tazuna, Sakura took a protective stance in front of him. Sasuke jumps in front of her and I jump in front of him. When my hands wrap around the hilt of my sword, Kakashi steps in.

    I tie them while Naruto blathers on, which only gives the poison more time to spread. I saunter over to Tazuna, along with Kakashi. "Those were the Demon Brothers. They become rogue ninja with Momochi Zabuza." I inform. "And they were after you, Tazuna."

*

    I sigh when Kakashi decides to continue the mission with Tazuna. I sigh again when Naruto begins throwing kunai knives recklessly. As Naruto cradles the white rabbit, I think of my homeland. Part of the Hidden Mist Village is cold enough for snow. If that rabbit is from..

    Mist surrounds us. "Damn," I curse. "Get down!" Kakashi yells. I grab the hilt of my blade as another slices down. "Guard Tazuna!" Kakashi orders the Genin, who obey immeadiately. "Momochi Zabuza, rogue ninja of the Hidden Mist Village." Zabuza chuckles. "Hatake Kakashi of the Sharigan. The man who copied a thousand jutsus." He says, but his eyes are fixed on me. "Why if it isn't dear little Kasumi," he cooes. "Hello, Sensei." I greet. Kakashi lifts his headband, revealing mixmatched eyes.

    "You have a sword of your own now, I see." I nod. "Did you become a rogue ninja too? I really don't approve of my former student running off to the Leaf Village." I narrow my eyes and take my sword from my back. "I was ordered to come here." I say. "That Mizukage sent you there of all places? She must really not want to tell you the truth." I don't waver. He chuckles. "The same seriousness as always," he taunts, readying his sword. "You weren't always like that though, were you?" Our blades collide. "It all started when we were known as the Bloody Mist village. You killed your entire class like I did." I hear gasps behind me but I only focus on my opponent.

    "There's so much you don't know, little Kasumi. You think your father is a traitor for abandoning the village like me," I charge chakra into my sword. "But that's not even the half of it. Didn't you ever wonder why you didn't look like your brother?" I glare at him and distance myself. "Well unfortunately for you, I'm efficent in the Silent Killing Technique, too." I say as I form handsigns. I blend into the mist of the surrounding the area. I slice Zabuza's arm with my Shibuki.

    Kakashi makes his move. I manage two more gashes before I stop, in order to prevent injuring Kakashi. I land in front of Sasuke. "You're so cool, Kasumi-chan!" Naruto yells. I turn around to face them. "Protect Tazuna with your lives. If Kakashi and I die, you have to defeat Zabuza or die trying. That is the shinobi life that you signed up for." They look frightened but nod nonetheless. "The Sharigan doesn't work on the Hidden in Mist Technique for the reason that it's made out of the user's chakra. So I must assist Kakashi." Sasuke nods. I summon the explosive tags from the scroll on my sword.

    I charge at Zabuza as Kakashi lands in the water nearby. I curse when Kakashi gets caught in a water prison. I form the single handseal and the explosive tags remove themselves from my sword and detonate. I pant as I wield my sword. When the sword clears, I realize it was a water clone. The real Zabuza and a clone are standing beside Kakashi. "Sasuke, Naruto, Sakura, run! Take Zabuza with you! He has to be in range for his clones to work, so he can't chase after you. Kasumi, go with them!" I shake my head as my stomach is pierced with a sword.

    I gasp. Zabuza's clone chuckles from behind me. I throw my sword back, destroying the water clone. "Kasumi, you're losing too much blood!" Sakura screams. I ignore her as I perform handseals. "Ice Release: Swallow Snow Storm." I mutter. Water from the air and surrounding water forms into swallows and freezes into ice. I aim them at Zabuza's back. Some pierce his skin, but none hit the clone. I look towards my stomach to find my shirt soaked in blood. I take bandages from my backpack and sloppily wrap them around my torso. They're saturated with blood in seconds.

    Kakashi yells my name and that's when I pass out.