Chapter Eight; B-Ranked Mission

I just want to say it's 1:44 in the morning and that this is just a filler chapter. However, it kind of brings some of Kakashi's feelings to light so it's your decision whether to read it or not. ALSO! I'm seriously thinking of changing to title to "Kasumi of the Red Snow" or "Scarecrow in the Mist" Feedback please! D;

--------------------------------------------------------------------

There's a note on the fridge the next morning. It reads:

The Hokage wishes to see you when you wake up.  - Kakashi

I leave it there and head back to the spare bedroom. I put on the dress with a pair of spandex shorts underneath and my ninja pouch. I clasp my locket around my neck and leave the room. 

I glance around once before exiting the apartment and locking the door behind me. 

I knock before entering. I bow respectably and stand in front of his desk. "Ah, Kasumi. I have a mission for you." I nod. "You will be accompanied by one other Shinobi on a B-Rank mission. Come in, Igami." 

A bleach-blonde haired Shinobi walks in confidentally. "Kasumi, this is Igami. Igami, this is Kasumi." I nod in his direction, while he smirks. "You are to track down a rogue ninja of the Hidden Frost Village. He stole intel from the Village Hidden under the Moon. Capture him, and return him to the Hidden Frost village. Bring the stolen intel back here for another team to return. We can't have you missing your team return from the second part of the Chuunin Exams, now can we?" I nod in response. "Kasumi will be in charge of the mission, seeing as she's completed several intel missions by her lonesome. Leave within the next hour." We each bow before exiting the building. "We'll meet at the front gates in fourty minutes, alright?" I ask as we step into the sunlight. "How about I accompany you to your place and get to know you better?" He asks in return. "We're going to be on a mission together for four days.." I reply.

He follows me up the stairs. I turn around once we reach the door. "You should really go pack at your own house." I state sternly. He places his arms on either side of my head. "You're pretty cute, you know." I glare up at him. He smirks and presses himself closer to me. The door suddenly opens behind me. Kakashi catches me and I'm quick to stand up straight. I clear my throat, but continue glaring at Igami. "Igami, this is Hatake Kakashi. Kakashi, this is Igami. We're going on a mission together." I notice the hard look on Kakashi's face. 

After a long silence, I decide to just go to my room. I pack the necessary items in my backpack. I strap my sword onto my back then exit the spare room. "I don't think you should go on a mission with him." Kakashi says from the sofa. "If I had my way I'd been going alone." I answer. "What would have happened if I hadn't of opened the door, Kasumi? Answer me that." I sigh. "I can handle myself, Kakashi." I state, firm. Then proceed to walk out the door. 

I wait at the gate for five minutes before Igami shows up. "More information on the rogue ninja was delivered to me. He's been spotted a plethora of times in the Wave Country." I inform him. He nods as we begin walking. "We'll travel across the Great Naruto Bridge. Last time I was there it had just been completed." 

*

And we arrive arond midnight on the second night of the second Chuunin Exam. We set up camp on the outskirts of the village. Several people waved as they passed me as we walked along the bridge. Many villagers who showed up at the last minute on the Zabuza mission. 

"I'll keep first watch." I offer. "Nah, I will. I'll wake you in three hours or if anything is strange, alright?" I nod and climb into the tent. I drift off peacefully.

At around five thirty in the morning, something doesn't feel right. With only a little over thirty minutes till daybreak, I decide it won't be much of a loss if we leave now. "Something doesn't feel right." I murmur in his ear. His faces turns serious. "I feel it too," He whispers. I nod. "Act like you don't suspect anything," I mutter. 

I strap on my sword and pack up my backpack. Igami takes down the tent. We begin walking as if nothing is amiss when we're ambushed.

It starts with a few kunai knives coming from the east and west. Then twelve Shinobi and three Kunoichi surround us. I clench my teeth and wield my sword in front of me. It's still pitch black, with only twenty minutes until sunrise. "It seems you've discovered our bosses' hideout." A female voice drawls. A fire jutsu comes toward us. I form handsigns quickly, distinguishing it with a water jutsu. "Igami, what chakra style do you possess?" I question as we go back-to-back. "Earth." 

I calculate a plan in my head as I wield off the Shinobi. "Wind Style: Wind Scythe!" (Completely made that up on the spot). My arm and face are sliced. The cut on my arm is worse. One of the Kunoichi giggles. They had to have planned this. They must know where we are, since as far as I can tell, no one on their side is getting injured. Ten minutes till sunrise. "JUst hang on for another five minutes," I tell Igami. He takes in a shuddering breath before nodding. 

So we do. I'm beginning to see the sun beginning to rise. I wait another moment before forming handsigns. "Ice Release: Protective Ice Dome." We slump against the side of the ice walls. The Shinobi use several fire jutsus, but they've been rendered useless. I bandages Igami's arms and legs. He bandages my arm. In a different situation, we'd be friends, perhaps. "They had to have planned this. We need to defeat them then track their boss down. They attacked so early on in the mission.." Igami grunts as he stands. "If I use the explosive tags on my sword, you need to get out of the way." 

"I'll create a wall out of earth." I nod. "The sun has risen. I'll release the jutsu in three, two, one.." We're attacked all at once. He creates a wall of earth and I set off my explosive tags, killing two. Two down, thirteen to go.

I stab another Shinobi. Another nameless victim. Igami has defeated two. Ten left. I go back-to-back with Igami. "Look, you need to conserve your chakra. You're a long distance fighter. I'll put them through hell with my sword and you finish them off. Not one at a time, there needs to at least be two. We need all the chakra we can get."

We've been fighting an hour, with three guys left. One Kunoichi. "You live up to your title, Kasumi of the Red Snow." I glare at her. "If you keep glaring at me, your face is going to stay like that." She teases. "Ice Release: Swallow Snow Storm," I mutter. The ice circles them before piercing their skin. All three are injured. I pant, as does Igami. I take senbon from my ninja pouch, tossing them much like Haku. They shouldn't feel their legs for a while, at least. It's the most I can ask for right now. 

Igami and I tie them up. "Tell us where your boss is hiding." Igami demands. But I already know. "Igami, the bridge. He's trying to leave. They were sent to hold us up, don't you get it? They were his distractions, nothing but mere pawns in his little game." I tell him. "Like you know Utake," The girl growls. "Thanks for the information." I reply calmly. "Why you litt-" I throw a kunai at her neck, slicing her Jugular with ease. "Let's go, Igami." I order.

And we set off at top speed. I hand Igami a food pill and take one myself. I create a clone.

A few minutes later, Igami and I skid to a stop. "Ah, if it isn't Kasumi of the Red Snow. It's a pleasure, you are widely known, my dear." I hold my sword out in front of me. "I see my henchmen didn't stand much of a chance. Are they all dead?" I shake my head. "There's two left, but it's not like you're ever going to see them again." Utake smirks. He sends a wave of water at us and takes off. I send it over the edge of the bridge with a wind jutsu. My clone comes from under the bridge and stands in front of him. 

"Clever." He compliments. Igami and I face each other and nod. I distract him with a water jutsu, while my clone and Igami knock his feet out from under him. They engage in hand-to-hand combat. I distract him with another jutsu while Igami hides. My clone turns into a puddle. "Water Release: Hidden Mist Jutsu," I whisper as I fade into it. I injure him with kunai and shuriken, before I appear behind him, a kunai to his neck. 

I hit a pressure point. Igami comes from under the bridge and ties him up. We begin our trek to the Hidden Frost Village.

*

The elders of the village thank us as we depart. The intel is in my backpack. I limp alongside Igami. "Do you know why I haven't flirted with you since we began the mission?" Igami inquires suddenly. I shake my head.

"Kakashi threatened to kill me if I even as little as touched you." I cock an eyebrow at him. "But it's none of his business." Igami sighs. "You just don't get it." He mutters as we walk back to the place I'm beginning to call home.