Chapter 32

As the rebel cats celebrate their victory, I glance down beside me and see that North has changed back to his cat form. After a moment of decision, I decide to do the same, hoping that there won't be any more invaders to fight from the other tunnels.

I almost fall on North again after transforming back, but I manage to catch myself at the last moment. North scrambles farther away from me.

"What's with you and falling today, Earth Cat?" North growls, shaking out his fur as he stalks off.

"Sorry!" I call after him. "I'm still not used to shapeshifting back and forth like that."

The rebel cats have finally calmed themselves down from their victory cries. Just as I walk towards everyone else, a realization comes to my mind; we need to find out if the other tunnels are safe.

I yowl, "Hey, rebels! Gather over here by the South Tunnel entrance."

North mutters, "Goodness, who made you leader?"

        He follows my command anyway, as does everyone else. I stand in front of the hole in the ground as the other rebels surround me, leaving me in the center. They look at me expectantly, some with puzzled stares.

        "I know that I'm not your actual leader," I start, stealing an intentional, quick glare at North before continuing, "and I'm also aware that we won the South Tunnel. But we still need to win the other tunnels, right?"

        Most of the rebels nod or meow in agreement.

        "So, here's the plan. If you are too injured to go on fighting, then stay here and wait. Otherwise, follow me to the West Tunnel."

        A voice pipes up, "What about the North Tunnel? I heard it's already captured."

         Some, probably the ones who haven't heard the news yet, widen their eyes in shock.

        I briefly pause, twitching my tail. Then, remembering what Rain said about it earlier, I respond, "Don't worry about it now. We'll get back the North Tunnel later."

        No one asks any more questions, so I turn around and say, "Let's go through the tunnel."

        Someone from behind me suddenly pokes my spine with a paw before I force myself through the entrance. An unmistakeable voice scoffs, "Hey, Earth Cat, do you even know how to navigate through the tunnel?"

        I don't even bother looking at North, let alone reply to him. Of course I don't know; I'm astonished that the thought hadn't crossed my mind moments before.

        North sharply exhales and brushes past me. He mutters, "I'll show you how to get there."

        He effortlessly slips inside the hole without another word. With a swish of my tail, I gesture everyone who's coming to follow me. Then, I enter the South Tunnel with North.

        As usual, it's so dark in there that I have to brush my whiskers against the walls in order to navigate the place. North leads me through the series of passages with little commentary. By the brisk, certain way he goes through the tunnel, it's clear that he's an expert at this type of thing.

"How are you so good at this?" I murmur in a low voice, trying to catch up with North. "I can barely stay in pace with you."

He replies, "It's easy. Maybe not for an Earth cat like you."

A few cats behind me purr in amusement. I flatten my ears as heat spreads through my body. Licking my chest fur to smooth it down, I keep on crawling.