The Wolf & The Diamond

Start from the beginning

"Where the hell did you go?"

"Pissing.", you just answered calmly.

"And your new friend?"

"I dont know."

Joe touched his shoulder and told him, without opening his mouth, to calm down and leave you alone. As he turned to protest, footsteps alerted everyone, eliminating the various security measures if a few walkers had arrived. Instead, it was Len himself who cursed as he pressed his hand against the wound. Here in the open, the moonbeams allowed you to see more clearly. You had hit him on the forehead, which seemed to have burst.

"Where were you?", Joe asked, pretending that everything was fine.

Len looked at you and tried to find out if you had said anything.

"Do I have to ask for permission to go outside?", he asked sullenly.

"Where did you get the injury from?", Joe asked, looking at the weapon in his hands. Len answered with a lie and stared into your eyes. He was afraid you had talked.

"Asshole!", you replied. The others giggled, amused by the scene they imagined. Joe joined their laughter. Suddenly, however, he reached out his arm and a shot echoed through the air. Len fell groaning to the floor. His hands pressed against his leg, from which streams of blood dripped.

"If I hate something, it's liars.", Joe said with a grin while Len screamed and cursed you again.

"I didn't do anything, this whore invented everything!"

You were petrified by the violence, not that you didn't know what they were capable of, but you had trivially thought they would take care of one of their men. They were beasts... Joe put his arm around your hips and told you to re-enter the hut. The door closed now, you heard the screams and beatings...

"Was it so obvious?", you asked curiously.

"To tell the truth, no.", he answered gravely: "You were pretty calm but also pretty excited, so nobody thought he touched you, but I noticed you were short of breath and dirty. Well, you could have escaped one of those things, but that certainly wouldn't have explained why you're so dirty, and then the wound on his head, it was one very clean, irregular wound."

He was rightly the boss. Nothing escaped him and he kept his men on a leash. Len's screams grew louder. As if you had said something, Joe kept talking and looked out of the window at the massacre.

"I don't say that we are in heaven, but we are fit for this reality, we have no difficulty surviving. The contrasts only arise between them, they are not intelligent, but they are animals. My job is to control the situation, to train them. Len was a weak connection and a subject of imbalance, dangerous to the group, and if it were not for you, he would soon have been dead."

"I don't care what you are, but I would say monsters instead of animals."

Without turning away from the brutal scene, he corrected you: "No, sweetie, if you think we're monsters, that means you've handled the Apocalypse well."

You realized that he could very well be right. The epidemic had produced the worst in humans. Suddenly you realized that Len's voice was gone for a few minutes, predicting what you would see if you opened the door. A disfigured corpse.

"I've noticed, you know?", said Joe.

"What?"

"The same day I met you, your eyes... Your eyes have something different, I immediately realized that you're not a naive girl, as if your eye color changes to certain situations."