"By the way you describe it, I already know I will. When you get better, I promise Henry and I will take you home. Does that sound like a plan?" I smiled, placing her hand on my cheek.

"Yes." She smiled.

Patty arrived with Nick later in the evening for Nana's surgery. It was comforting to have them by my side through these hard times while Henry was on the other side of the world.

The staff wheeled Nana into the operation room at 10:15 pm. Before her face disappeared from our sight, she smiled like she always did.

I felt sick inside as the seconds went by so excruciatingly slow, sitting in the hospital waiting room.

I prayed to a higher power for Nana, hoping my prayers would be answered, hoping for a sign of something good.

My eyes were becoming heavy and my mind wanted to shut down in the middle of the night, but I couldn't let myself fall asleep. I didn't want to miss any updates on Nana's status from the doctors.

After countless hours had gone by, the head doctor of the operation finally entered to the waiting room. Immediately I stood up and walked over to him. "How is she, Doctor Conner?"

"The bypass surgery went successfully," he replied with comforting smile.

A breath of relief expelled from my lips. Patty, Nick and I all looked at each other with smiles and alleviation on our faces.

"Her condition is stable enough right now to install a pacemaker, and we're going to plant it inside of her for the last part of surgery, which will take about two more hours. After that, we will monitor her condition closely to see how her body is responding to the device for the next few days."

After Doctor Conner left the waiting room, we all hugged each other, relieved to learn of the operation's success.

It was finally some good news. A glimmer of hope still remained.

.....

Nana's condition improved little by little throughout the next few days in the hospital. The colors were restored back to her face. She wasn't fully recovered, but she looked more lively and healthy than before the operation.

Adam and Lily visited for a few hours on Thursday after work, and even her sister from Wisconsin came to stay for the whole day on Friday.

While Nana's sister was here, I asked Larry to take me to the store to buy some supplies. I wanted to make something special for Nana because like what my father would say, a homemade gift that comes from the heart was the purest gift of all.

That Friday night when Nana fell asleep, I took out my pencil and paper from my bag.

Sitting on the couch by the window in the corner, I stared blankly with no idea in mind of what to draw.

Then I thought back to my conversation with Nana. She really wanted to go back home. I took out my phone and surfed the web for the name of hometown. I didn't know how to spell the name, but I found it in a matter of seconds just by searching "France town."

The place was truly beautiful as Nana had described it. From the medieval-looking buildings, rivers, scenery, it was no wonder she wanted to return to the place where she had instilled so memories in her youth.

It was her home and where she belonged.

Looking between my paper and the images on my phone, I sketched a rough outline of the buildings next to a canal with colorful flowers draping out into the water. In the far background, I drew a mountain range and a clear blue sky.