Time

Nate held the slate closer to his face, "I told you to let us go," Nate said

"But we're not even close to being finished yet," Gen said, her pearly smile stretched across the screen, "Not until I get Valen back."

"We already told you," Mat said and exposed his clenched teeth, "We're not leaving here without her."

"That's right," Evee shouted at the slate and looked back at me, "We're a family."

"This was your last warning, children," Gen said and deepened her voice, "I will get back Valen and what she stole from me. You have ten minutes left."

The screen of the slate went black.

"Stole?" Valencia said and twisted her mouth, "Valen, what does she mean by stole?"

"I found this," I said and pulled out the leather-bound book from my coat pocket, "Up in the tower."

"What is it?" Nate said and put his hand on the edge of the book.

"I don't know," I said and handed the book to Nate, "But whatever is inside it must be important to her."

Nate opened the book and skimmed through the torn and stained pages.

"It looks really old," he said and traced his fingers on the silver letters, "I think it's some kind of journal or something."

"Whatever it is," Mat said and crossed his arms, "If she wants it, we better keep it from her."

A sudden quake rocked the insides of the tunnel, sending dust down from the ceiling onto our heads.

"Then let's make sure we find that train first," Nate said and began to run into the shadows of the tunnel.