Payment

It had been a peaceful night

It had been a peaceful night. I was able to stay asleep longer than any night in recent memory. That's how much anger could numb you. Make you forget how much life was better without it.

I woke up the next morning in my new room. Three rapid knocks hit my door below. I untwisted myself from the plush white blanket and looked down from my bunk high in the corner of the loft.

"Your first meal delivery has arrived," Iris said and wheeled towards the door, "May I accept the delivery for you?"

"Yeah, sure," I said and wiped the sides of my wet lips and crusted eyes.

Isis's blue light flickering as the door unlatched.

An olive-skinned girl wearing a pale blue uniform stepped through the black door. In her hand was silver tray over-flowing with food I had not seen since the center. A large shiny green apple, fluffy scrambled eggs, a steaming cup, another cup filled with orange juice and at the center a stack of flat pieces of round bread.

"Pancakes?" I said, squinting my blurry eyes on the tray.

The tray wobbled in the young girl's hands. Her wide brown eyes fixed on me and then up to my forehead.

"Pancakes are delivered for the first meal each Tuesday" Iris said, and wheeled around the young girl, "Keeper 461, please deposit the meal onto the kitchen table."

The young girl nodded and set the tray onto the long granite table in the kitchen as she was told and left the room with her arms at her sides in a brisk pace. She did not take another look at me or my mark.

I lifted myself from the cloud-like bed and walked down the ladder into the kitchen. The meal was still steaming, but I was also heated about something else.

"Iris?" I said and looked down the narrow hall between the kitchen and bathroom.

"Yes?" Iris said and wheeled back over to me.

"That girl," I said and looked towards the closed front door, "You called her by a number. Doesn't she have a name?"

"It is conventional for one to have a name," Iris said, as her blue lights flickering in a circular pattern, "But, a name is not needed to perform daily duties. All community members must be organized efficiently."

"But, they gave you a name, and you're just a -" I paused, unsure would understand.

"A machine?" Iris interrupted my pause, "All machines of my purpose share the same name and must be organized efficiently."

I did not know why I felt the need to pause, to adjust my words to save the feelings of a heap of talking metal and lights. No matter how life-like Iris could be, I had since never failed to be reminded that I was in truth talking to a machine. A thoughtless and feelingless machine.

"It would be wise to enjoy your first meal before it reaches an undesirable temperature," Iris said and continued wheeling between the stools of the kitchen counter.