Fall

We stood on a balcony, overlooking the garden of the Union tower

We stood on a balcony, overlooking the garden of the Union tower. Below, tall trees and bushes wound around the fountain at the center of the garden. The walkway glowed a pale blue light that shone down from the bright full moon above.

Nate leaned over the balcony in silence. His eyes calculate the area as he held the end of the grappling hook in one hand. Down below, a maintenance man dressed in his usual red jumper sat behind a glass wall as he watched a room full of monitors. Beside the station was a closed vent Evee's father said connected to the supply shuttles.

The plan was risky. We needed to lower ourselves into the vent and open the crate all without alarming the maintenance man at his station. One tug of the rope meant it was safe for the next to come down. Two tugs meant there was danger below.

The first down was Nate. He secured the hook around a thin column of the balcony. Valencia stood close by the hook to make sure it stayed in place. With his agility, Nate was able to remove the vent with a utility knife found by Evee and soon after we received with the single tug of the rope below.

Evee and her family were the next down. Evee placed herself behind her sister, ready to help. Though Macie didn't need it. Macie was faster down the rope than Nate, even with her missing arm or when helping her father above.

Next, was Mat and his mother. With Mat's tall stature he was able to maneuver his way down the rope with his mother leaning on his back.

I was soon after. Watching the others had made it seems easier than it was. But once I found the right tension and was able to move my hands and legs down the rope without it swinging too far. I didn't dare look over my shoulder to see if the maintenance man noticed us through the blinding light of his screens.

Down in the supply tunnel, it was just above pitch-darkness. Our only sources of light were the faint lanterns from the open vent above. Behind us, there were two tracks where small carts filled with vegetables and sacks of what looked like grain.

"Is Valencia okay up there?" I asked and looked up at the rope through the vent.

"She's probably just securing the hook," Nate said and squinted his eyes up at the vent, "There won't be anyone left to secure it for her."

"Nate's probably right," Evee said.

"I don't trust it," Evee's father said, and move his head below the vent.

"We should pull the rope again and let her know it's okay to come down," Mat's mother said.

"Good idea," Mat said and stepped forward, "I'll do it."

But before Mat could step forward, the rope began rattling on its own.

"What does that mean?" I said stepping away from the rope.

"Whatever it is, it can't be good," Evee's father said.

The rope continued to rattle when Valencia fell through the narrow vent in a hard thud.

"We've got to go!" Valencia said from the damp floor of the tunnel and pointed above, "Hurry!"

"What happened?" Nate said as he helps Valencia to her feet.

Valencia rushed to stand, "They're, they're coming."