Committee

I tightened the silky strap of my short pink dress as I spun in front of the mirror beside the desk in my dorm

I tightened the silky strap of my short pink dress as I spun in front of the mirror beside the desk in my dorm. The ruffled hem of my dress tickled the skin of my thighs.

"Would you like for me to call for assistance?" Iris said and wheeled from the kitchen.

"I think I have it, Iris," I said and stop my spinning.

A cream-colored sash cinched the dress at my waist, and the tall pair of silver shoes lifted me to my highest. It all made me look like - like an actual woman. Not a girl who could hide behind a stick. The dress was perfect, in every way.

I reached onto the desk to a gray box filled with barrettes of many shapes and sizes. Each was encrusted with shiny jewels. I chose the most ornate of them all. It's silver vines gathered into a pale pink flower made of more gems. I forced the barrette into my damp hair. With half of my hair pinned, I looked better but not enough. Not enough for the fluttering in my chest to stop from rising.

"I'm detecting high levels of cortisol in your system-" Iris said, scanning my ankle, "May I suggest assistance?"

"I told you," I said still trying to force the barrette into my hair, "I'm okay."

"I was instructed to assist with dinner preparations," Iris said, "and to relay any overwhelming tasks to the Vossler styling team."

"Styling team?" I said and stopped my pinning.

"If requested, the styling team can be here to assist with any hair, makeup and wardrobe decisions if necessary."

"Makeup," I said aloud and bit my chapped lip.

I had seen makeup, admire it's transforming powers on others, but I had never tried to put makeup on myself. I looked back at the puffy mess my auburn was drying into. I had done my hair all my life, and this was the best that I was capable of.

"When can they be here?" I said and turned back quickly to Iris.

"I am submitting a request, please wait," Iris said as her blue light swirled faster.

•·················※·················•

The latch of the dorm door swung open slowly into the hallway outside. I guided my shaking hand up to my face and ran a piece of my hair behind my ear as I stepped through the door. The others were on the other side. All dressed in their best as they stood together, with two guards towering beside them.

I looked up, their faces weren't telling me anything. Were they surprised? Were disgusted? Did I look that, weird?

"Valen," Mat said and took in a deep breath, "You look-"

"What did they do to your hair?" Evee said, her own hair pinned up into a neat bun with two curls hung beside her ears.

I pulled a lock of my straight hair between my fingers. It still smelled of their hot irons.