Court

"Valen," Court said and smiled as she passed my station in the lab, "A few of us are eating lunch in the gardens

"Valen," Court said and smiled as she passed my station in the lab, "A few of us are eating lunch in the gardens. You should join!"

There wasn't a part of me, even the smallest part, that wanted to join them. It wasn't that I didn't like Court or her friends. In the last few weeks, she had been more welcoming than I had expected, and then some.

This time things would be different between us. Without the steel desks and carts to separate us, there were lines I knew would be crossed and questions asked that I did not have the answers to - an exciting answer that is.

Court's eager smile hovered above me and my desk. Her amber eyes were lit by the beaming sun passing through the window beside us.

"It's such a lovely day," she said and looked out the window, "At least get some fresh air."

"That sounds, great," I finally said, trying to sound as enthused as possible.

"Good to hear!" she exclaimed, "I'll wait outside the cafeteria for you."

I watched Court as she walked away and wondered how convincing it would be for me to fall ill, at this exact moment.

•·················※·················•

The cafeteria was like no other, not even the cafeteria back at the center could compare. Every time I stepped into the savory air, I was taken back by just how much more there was to take in.

It was a long open room overlooking the blooming gardens outside. Each of its steel framed windows projected news feeds from the different sectors. Though almost no one cut from their own feeds to look at them or even tuned their otic feeds off to listen.

The many rows were lined with tables of food, each shielded under tiny glass roofs. The other white coats piled their food like it were a synchronized sport. Each moving up the rows and against each other like the gears of a machine.

I walked towards the salad aisle, the least crowded section, and picked up a glass tray to start. I wasn't going to dare go any closer to the dessert aisle. Although, the double chocolate chip cookies were a favorite of mine.

I turned towards the sandwich aisle and felt the other white coats eyes pressed on my back and their hasty steps kicking the soles of my feet. I grabbed the closest sandwich and a milk carton before I rushed out the chaos of the line.

On my toes, at the far end of the cafeteria and over the many bobbing heads, I saw the silver-streaked bun of Court's head.

Tray in hand, I walked towards Court and her circle of grinning friends.

"I was looking for you," Court greeted me with a high-beam smile.

"Glad you made it," the black haired woman beside Court said and nodded, "I'm Miranda."