Therapy

This place could at least use a fireplace, I thought to myself as I waited in the lobby of Gens floor

The lobby was a tight room, made up of two glass walls that overlooked each side of the Union. One wall faced the ocean, where the water caught the reflection of the Unions silhouette. The other faced the stacks of chrome towers that stretched into the sky. Today the clouds floated low between the tops of buildings and made the mirrored windows of the towers lose their luster.

It had been only a few minutes, but the coldness of the lobby was making me impatient. Gen assistants always brought me here early. Gen always arrived on time. Not a second sooner. Not a second later.

I looked down at my bracelet as the minute changed to zeros and I heard the sharp clack of heels against the floor.

"How wonderful it is to see you, and in such marvelous health," Gen said with a toothless and glossed smile from her office door.

"Just terrific," I said flat and stood from the lobby couch.

Gen's smile was as unbreakable as ever. It seemed to follow me into the even colder confines of her office. I sat in the hard metal chair of her office that pointed towards her long glass desk overlooking the Union.

"I have to first, commend you for your bravery," Gen said and sat behind her desk, "Your story has already led to four more reunited families."

"Good for them," I said and crossed my pimpled arms at my chest.

"You seem less than enthused," Gen said and leaned forward.

"Just don't see what this has to do with me."

"The lower city was fragmented by discourse before your arrival. Your story has united them all with hope."

"So glad I could help," I said and leaned further back in my chair.

"That leads me to my next question," Gen continued, "You seem underwhelmed by your own reunion. I hope there is something we can do during our sessions to resolve this."

"What's there to resolve?" I said, just a whisper short of a shout, "What's done is done. I'm not a kid anymore. I don't need a -"

I paused. I was saying too much. Too much to make this session quick. Make it painless.

"Then you should find some merit in your father's sacrifice."

"Sacrifice?" I said with disgust and leaned forward in my chair.

"He chose to give you a chance at a better life," Gen said and held her nose higher, "That's far more than most can say about their own families."

"A better life?" I laughed, "I didn't know being chased away from any place I've ever been to was a better life."

"However more concerning," Gen said and raised her brow, "Is I have yet to hear you remark about your sister."

"What about her?" I said, my eyes tearing up over the mention of my sister.

"You should ask her, " Gen said and paused, "Ask her what a better life is before you return to your dorm in the suites tower. I think you will find you are both more similar than in just your appearance."

I stood from my chair, the steel screeching into the glossy floors.

"We're done, right?" I said and stood away from my chair.

Gen was calm as she exhaled and focused instead on the glass slate on her desk.

"I believe, we've accomplished, as much as we can for now," she said and picked up her slate.

"Fine with me," I said and let the cold air of the office slap my back on the way out.