Tests

"I saw something today," I whispered to the window above my bed and watched the flashing stars glide across the purple sky

"Was it something strange?" Momo said at my side, her pink eyes swirling with excitement.

"Not sure," I said as Momo moved to a ledge on the window above my bed where potted plants grew.

It was Momo's favorite spot to sit. If a doll could have such a thing.

"Well then, what was it?" Momo said.

I looked out towards the window and onto the bright lights of the city as I began to tell her.

It started as regular work day in the lab, but at this point, it was dragging. I felt it first in my swollen ankles and last in my light head. We had been working extra hours though I didn't know why they called them extra hours. It seemed every week a new donation was "showing more and more promise than before," and that was why we needed to stay later. I was starting to think this was more an excuse than a real reason.

I had been assigned to report to Court since I first met her at the terminals. Today she was showing me the filling system for all the samples collected from the donors.

"Be very cautious," Court whispered as if the sample jars would break if she spoke any louder.

Court turned towards the wheeled cart beside her, and the lifted its cover. The triple-decker cart stood as tall as my chest. Each of its steel rows was packed with little glass tubes the size of my thumb. The view above it reminded me of a bee's hive.

"Now to open the freezer," Court said and tapped her bracelet against the wall letting its hidden doors slide open.

The freezer was as seamless and reflective as the rest of the lab walls. It was difficult to know just where it stood until it's cold steam billowed down to the floors and clouded towards the high-ceilings.

Court rolled down the sleeves of her white lab coat, flipped back her long silver-streaked ponytail and straighten the frame of her goggles. I adjusted my clothes the same and watched my breath form in the cold air.

"Just tap the stripe on the side, like this," Court continued and touched her bracelet against the tiny glass tube, and it's glowing blue stripe, "And you will see the correct row on your display."

Court turned her bracelet towards me, showing the bright blue writing on the display. She had taught me about four times, but she wanted to show me again.

"Just one more time," Court promised, "It is crucial each sample is properly filed. If even one is misplaced, we could possibly lose months, even years of work."

"Um, Court," I said clutching the side of my coat, "Are you sure you want me doing this?"

"Oh," Court laughed letting her nose wrinkled up her goggles, "Don't let me scare you! It's easy! Besides, you'll receive a bonus in your contributions for such an important task. I'm sure you'll find plenty to use it on once it deposits into your balance."