Chapter 15 - Farewell

Red's POV

"Alpha, we caught, some intruders at the border. They tried to escape but we were able to catch them before they able to." It was one of the pack's patrol that mind-linked me.

"Okay, are they rogues?" I asked just to be sure of how to accommodate the intruders.

"Negative Alpha, they're just humans. Shall we bring them to the interrogation ground?" He asked following the protocol we already established when it comes to intruders especially humans.

"No, bring them to the reception area. Since they're humans, we can't guarantee that they will keep it a secret whatever they will learn from our grounds. In the outside world, we are just a group of people who lives in the area, in a small community." After hearing that, the patrol ended the link with me.

"Sorry Wayne, it just a patrol talking to me." I returned my focus to my beta who just got back from his mission in Europe. We moved here first because of some disputes and I tasked Wayne to stay longer to finalize and officialise all the legal matters that the pack is involved with. In that way, the neighboring pack can claim our lands without having to fight over it.

"It is okay Alpha, pardon me earlier when I had to shift right in front of you. I was just too excited seeing you all again that I needed to pay respect first before going to my parent's house." He explained after the scene that just happened before us. It is, of course, normal for us to shift back and forth especially when we are in our grounds, thinking that we intentionally chose our area several kilometers form the town.

"All good, by the way, you are off from duty for now, and you can start tomorrow." I dismissed Wayne today seeing that he must be tired after his travel.

While walking going back inside the mansion, I smelled my mate's unique vanilla scent lingering around the place, that cause my wolf's attention to be awaken and heightened our senses. I followed the track of the where the scent is coming from and that led me to the kitchen. With sharpest vision I can muster, I scanned the area for my mate. But the biggest question I have in mind is – What is my mate doing at the mansion?

It was Kayne that I found scavenging the fridge for some water.

"Hi there Alpha, I am sorry if I forgot to inform you that I am here. I was just so thirsty that I have to drink a cold water first." He really doesn't need to explain to me, but I will take it regardless.

"Is anyone here with you?" I asked him just to make sure that my Ash is not here in the kitchen.

"No Alpha, I am alone, although, I just brought the intruders at the reception area." He placed his used glass to the sink and walk closer to me. "Shall we go to the reception area now?" Maybe I just mistook Ash's scent with someone else. But I can never be wrong, my mate's scent is deeply engraved in my heart that I will be able to distinguish it even amidst the sea of different odours.

That's when the unexpected event happened. Faster than my reflex, I am pinning Kayne on the closest wall, with my wolf on the surface, gaining almost all my control. "Who was just with you." At this point, it is evident that Kayne's fear is visible right through his face as he exposed his neck, the most vulnerable part of a wolf's body, as a sign of surrender. My wolf is holding nothing, and the bloodlust is radiating all throughout the kitchen. Kayne is emitting his usual deep moss scent but on top of it, the scent is mixed with none other than, my mate's unique aroma that causes my salivary glands to produce saliva than usual.

"Do you want your Alpha to repeat what he just asked?" With deeper and ice-cold voice, I felt my left-hand constricting through Kayne's neck, disabling his capacity to breath. The control of my wolf is getting stronger by the second, driven by the thought of his mate, held by Kayne although a pack member, is enough to make sane alpha go berserk.