"I read the first pages of this diary...", he admitted: "But it's not worth it."

You understood that it was heartbreaking. The reading of these pages had to be torture. You lived day by day. That was the new reality. You were aware that the world of the past no longer existed and would never return. When you experienced the memories and pain of another person, only the emotions that you wanted to suppress every minute of your uncertain existence emerged. You did not want to read it and you would not try it anymore. It was like building a barrier, something that could keep you from suffering. But your friend and you weren't that different. You have worked so hard to be stubborn and apathetic towards others, not recognizing that you have made them part of you. At every death of one of your friends you both suffered a loss as from part of you too. You now scanned the shadows of the flames with your gaze swinging on his body. You have done everything not to feel any friendship for this man, you fought with yourself to prevent any kind of affection. But in fact you both already had a bond... He had managed to help you when you were at the end of your powers. He had given you stability. And you were thankful. He enjoyed making you smile, but you knew he was doing it to distract you from the past. You immediately looked away and returned with your eyes to the fireplace. From time to time the wood creaked as if it suffered from the heat. You crouched on this comfortable chair and lost yourself in your thoughts until everything was dark.

You ran up the stairs and risked stumbling several times, but stopped at the handrail. You felt your heart tremble, you were in turmoil and panic. You forced yourself to stay calm, but the pressure had increased and you risked a panic attack but in this situation you couldn't afford it. And so you pushed open the door and threw yourself in. You grabbed her desperately. She understood that something was wrong and hugged convulsively her stuffed animal. Her eyes were bright and red, they were already full of tears. You took her bag under the bed and began to fill it with clothes and everything you thought necessary. Noises from the lower floor made you both jump. You were afraid your parents could break the door. You had to leave as soon as possible. The shooting began to echo in the neighborhood and your little sister covered her ears and whined. So you looked out the window and what you saw scared you even more. A horde of these things wandered around the neighborhood. Everyone was on the run, busy loading the cars. You had to get out of here. It was too dangerous. You tugged at your little sister and forced her to look you in the eye.

"Take your things, okay, I'll go down and get food, we'll get out of here."

You took her hands as if to reassure her. She was not stupid, she knew something serious had happened. But she still had no idea about the deterioration of something that looked like a harmless disease. You ran into the basement and grabbed your father's two bags, one of which was locked with a padlock. It contained firearms. You hurriedly searched for the keys in the various drawers. Then you shuddered... They were in your father's wallet. But if you entered this room, they would attack you immediately. You had to find a way to open it later. Luckily, there was always a gun in the car, a pistol. It would have sufficed for the time being in case of danger. You went into the garage and threw the bags in the car. Then you went back to the kitchen and emptied the fridge. You had no idea where you would go, so you took everything with you. You did not want you and your little sister to end up in bad situations without food and necessary items... Everything that seemed useful ended up in the bag without a specific order. Meanwhile, more television pictures of various attacks in other cities appeared. The epidemic had spread at absurd speed, infecting most of Atlanta and around. Those who were bitten or scratched became those beings. The news broadcast some horrible pictures, like a kid who shot those things. But these showed no pain, on the contrary, they progressed aggressively. The experts didn't understand what was going on, everything led to total delirium. These things were aggressive and tore anyone who met them. If the bullets were not enough, you would have to find something else. Now you went to the bathroom and took the toothbrushes, toilet paper and soap. Suddenly you heard a few steps and saw your little sister in tears with the bag in front of you. It was time to go... And so you ran with her back to the garage and started the car.