Tauntingly, she threw her hands out, nudging me.

I lunged at her, pushing her down flat on her back on the table. I whipped out my knife in one fluid movement and pressed it against her throat. I saw her eyes widen in alarm at the feel of the blade.

"You have no idea who you're dealing with."

"Get off me!" she cried, wriggling from underneath me. I pressed my hand harder, causing the knife to draw blood on her skin. 

"Hayley!" Imogen exclaimed, hooking her hand out and yanking me backward.

I let go, rising to my full height, my eyes in slits. The girl sat up abruptly, readjusting her clothes and standing, looking flustered. Her fingers wrapped around her neck automatically and when she removed them, they are smeared with blood. 

"She's not worth it, okay?" Imogen practically pleaded, digging her nails into my arm, as if that would snap me out of it.

"Sure she's not," I deadpanned, not taking my eyes off of her.

My upper lip curled in menace and she stared right back at me. The silence in the room was almost deafening, before hollaring and whistles exploded.

"Look," Imogen whispered urgently. "You're causing a scene. I don't want the guards to come in or they'll raid everything. I have stuff that I can't have taken away, okay? Let's just go," she murmured quietly, her eyes darting around frantically.

"Watch your back," the girl hissed.

"Oh, come on," I snorted, rolling my eyes. I looked at her in amusement. "You just got owned. You should be the one watching your back."

Imogen reefed on my arm and successfully pulled me out of the room. As soon as we were out in the corridor, she slapped me upside the head. I flinched backwards, slamming my back into the wall. I began trembling as her hand was still raised. I instinctively covered my head and waited for another hit.

When I didn't feel the second blow, I slowly opened my eyes.

"What the hell?" I hissed.

"Sorry..." she trailed off, her eyes softening. "Have you been abused?"

"Fuck off."

The softness of her eyes evaporate.

"You don't want her as an enemy. Great way to start out, Hayley."

"I don't care."

"Come on, I'll show you where the classrooms are."

With another sigh, I dragged my feet after her. All I wanted was to go sleep. I had hardly got any rest last night. I felt slightly like a zombie right now.

And there was still the entire afternoon.

<><><><><><><><><>

After being showed most of the commonly used classrooms, we made our way back to the dorm. We were almost there. I was so involved in what Imogen was saying, I didn't see someone walking the other way. Our shoulders barged painfully together, and I staggered sideways, but quickly gained my feet again. I shook my head in shock. I looked up and stared straight into the most faded blues eyes I had ever seen. They were so pale, they could be mistaken as grey.

They widened upon seeing me. I took a moment to gaze at the man. He was rather handsome in a ragged, older man way. He had dark hair and a half-shaven face. 

"Hello! You must be the new student I've heard so much about. I'm Mr. Johnston, nice to meet you." 

Slowly, I pushed my hand towards his and with one firm shake, he released me, smiling.