Chapter Twenty

<><><><><><><><><>

Dedication: BeatingHeartsBaby for the awesome cover on the side. Thank you!

Also, thank you eleven-eleven for the song recommendation. :) <3

<><><><><><><><><>

Colin's P.O.V:

If Lindsay  Lohan can make it through fourteen days in jail, Hayley can get through today.

Except she was like a ticking time bomb.  Walking on egg shells. About to have a break down. I was scared to even go near her. She effectively gained everyone's attention when she threatened to put her grandfather in the ground, next to his very recently deceased wife.

Not very smooth on her part.

Why I was even here, I don't know. I don't know what I was thinking, but if I push the right buttons, I might be the only one to get her through this.

I shifted my weight onto my other foot and glanced down at the time. For twenty minutes, she had been sitting on the same park bench, rigid. Her lips were moving furiously, as if she was talking to someone. Praying, even. I would have thought she was a statue, if I couldn't see her lips moving furiously.

Her long, brunette hair cascaded down her back like a waterfall, just taunting me to reach out and run my fingers through it. Her smooth, tanned skin contrasted perfectly with the black, tight dress that wrapped her body teasingly.

To say she looked amazing would be an understatement.

The guards were lingering around and I felt like one of them. I let my eyes sweep over the crowd of mourners. I felt almost disrespectful being here, not having known her grandmother and all. But if I could support Hayley, I was here and it was staying that way. Yes, this was out of character of me. Yes, I hated the fact I was acting like a soppy teenager, but I don't care. The feelings I have for this girl are unnatural and something I've never experienced before.

I just look at her and these stupid tingles shoot through my body and down into my toes. My palms get clammy and nerves bubble in my stomach. Never before has a girl made me nervous, except when I lost my 'V Card' in grade seven. That girl had been a psycho and had scarred me for life. But other then that, no, a girl had never had me nervous.

Until now.

As if sensing me thinking about her, she moved her head and her eyes connected with mine. A jolt ran through my body and I swallowed, tilting my head to the side. She stared at me blankly, her head tilted back, chin jutted forward. I remained staring back at her emotionlessly, awaiting for a response. We shared a heated stare down until the priest summoned everyone to sit down. She slowly stood, the movement stiff. She walked forward, eyes downcast. I maneuvered myself over to her and collapsed in an adjacent seat.

She swivelled her head towards me, a frown flittering across her face. "Why are you here?"

"For you."

She let out a breath of humourless laughter, running her fingers across her temples, as if she was trying to sooth her mind. "Okay."

I was the one frowning at her now. She turned from me, folding her arms across her chest, almost defensively. I sighed and reclined back, folding my ankles over each other, attempting to get comfortable on this sad excuse for a chair.

This was going to be interesting.

<><><><><><><>