"Rick, if you don't trust me, do it, kill me now, right here."

Carol looked at you desperately. You stared at each other. Another voice rose in the room, forcing your eyes to look away.

"The hell 's happenin' here!", Daryl shouted questioningly, but when he saw your injuries that showed the scene in front of him, he stopped. Rick and the archer exchanged long speeches through their crystalline eyes, then he went to you and pointed his crossbow at you. It was getting worse... You couldn't say for sure what he was thinking, but surely it wasn't hard to guess that you had become a possible enemy for him as well.

"What 're yer intentions?", Daryl asked the sheriff but he did not answer. It was replaced by the woman, who had recovered from the shock and returned determined and combative.

"It would be a mistake to kill her now Rick, we need her... She will provide us with useful information!"

"Don't you understand Carol? Woodbury has more people than us, they're better armed and even in possession of a tank!", he replied, and Daryl was almost pale.

"What?", he asked, looking at you: "Did ya' know 'bout that?"

"No!", you replied quickly, hoping they recognized honesty in your eyes.

Rick lowered his weapon and the archer did the same. He wasn't calm at all and had made a decision in his mind.

"Listen to me, Y/N. I will not kill you, at least not yet. I will not say thank you for coming back or for trying to talk to the Governor. Now you work for me, do you understand that?"

There was no need for you to reply, it was obvious that you were glad not to die.

"When the Governor attacks... What will you do?", he asked.

"I'll kill him.", you replied dryly.

"If something should happen... If we were separated or drowned in chaos... Where are you safe?"

"With you.", you answered again.

"You know the rules, we'll start from the beginning, again..."

They approached the door and whispered together. Rick and Carol went to the others to inform them while Daryl continued to guard you. He sat with momentum on a sink and put the crossbow on his legs. It wasn't the time to talk to him about Merle, but you knew it would never happen in the end anyway. And since you had already confessed everything, only this painful detail remained. If you stayed longer and kept it secret for a long time, it would only have been counterproductive. You watched each other as if you both wanted to say something. He was tense, but not too much... The news of the Governor's attack hadn't surprised him, because everyone knew more or less that this day would come. And he wasn't even mad at you or at least he didn't show it. He seemed more worried about your physical condition and continued to stare at your face and all the wounds and injuries.

"The Governor did this to ya'?", he suddenly asked, pointing his index finger at you, ignoring some of the details of the current situation.

"Yes."

He tried to reassemble the parts, the various fragments of the dialogue between Rick and you. He then understood that the wounds had been caused by your intervention in their favor. And maybe he was even sorry... It was hard to interpret Daryl. His thoughts were revealed only when he was angry.

"Didn't ya' kick him in the ass?"

You shook your head with a smile to hide the tears in your eyes. You didn't want to talk about it and fortunately he understood it. Daryl waited for Rick to return, with some information on the possible management of the future problem. You didn't know when it would be possible to regain the opportunity to be a part of his family... Without moving, you stood with your feet in the middle of the lines of a tile and said: "Daryl I -..."