21. The Secret

"Parker!" someone shouted, making me jump awake. Parker did the same and we looked at each other confused. We hurriedly made our way down the hallway. The voice yelled Parker's name again. We followed it and went into the living room. Bert and another man were here.

"Hey, dad. What's up?" Parker put a hand around my waist and pulled me close.

"We need to talk," Bert looked at me before going back to Parker. "Alone," he emphasized. I scoffed but was ready to walk out of the room.

"Whatever you have to say, you can say to me. And Julie," he raised an eyebrow, begging his father to try and argue with him. I smirked, leaning my head against Parker's shoulder.

He defended me. He trusts me. And most importantly he loves me. I smiled up at Parker and he kissed the top of my head before looking back at his dad.

Bert sighed angrily, "Fine. The girl can stay." I rolled my eyes but stayed put. Parker led me towards one of the couches and we sat down while Bert and the other man sat down opposite us.

"This is Albert. The company lawyer. I'm done with the company and am ready to hand it over to you. But only if you get your shit together. You must stop acting out and be responsible and," Bert glanced at me then continued talking. "Stop hanging out with riff-raff. I am transferring you to a different school, Huffington High."

Huffington High is a very prestigious private school. I've heard from Emma that they were all snobby rich kids. At least all the "populars" were. It was also located farther from the coastline, where our or now my school is. Huffington is not that far away. Maybe half an hour.

I frowned and looked at Parker. His face was displaying a similar expression. "No," was all he said.

"You cannot fight me on this. It's my decision. My way," Bert said coldly, his face void of any emotion.

"You can't control my life! I don't want to change fucking schools and I won't," Parker said dangerously low. His jaw was clenched and his eyes were burning with anger.

"I can do whatever the fuck I want! You're going and that's final. And for the love of god, get rid of the gold digging whore sitting next to you," Bert said with an eye-roll. Parker was fuming, I, on the other hand, was calm and collected.

I stood up and walked towards Parker's father. I leaned down close to his face. "Your ass must be jealous of all the shit coming out of your mouth. You don't know who you're messing with. You might be intimidating to the wimps of Cali but people used to cower at my name. I wouldn't hesitate before bringing a blade to your throat," I slide my finger across his throat slowly. "And watching as all the blood dripped out from where metal met skin." He trembled with fear, his eyes were full of regret.

"You understand?" I asked as I walked towards the door. He nodded frantically and I sent him a sinister smile before walking out. I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding and leaned my head back against the wall. Tears welled in my eyes. Letting out a strangled breath, I walk out of the house and down the street.

Where I was going, I had no idea. But I kept walking. Shivering I wished I had brought a jacket. I could always go back, but I would be going back to what I was trying to get away from. I was trying to get away from them. From Parker and his family. I don't know why and I don't know how but they were getting to me.

His mom was so kind while his father. That wretched man was evil. He was selfish and Parker didn't need him in his life. I used to be a free spirit, attached to nothing. But now, I am connected to Parker, to my friends. I can't go a second about thinking about him, them. I am tethered for the first time since my parents' death. There's nowhere I can go as my heart is tied to Parker.

This isn't who I am. I'm a strong, independent woman who doesn't need anybody. I didn't, no, I couldn't have this. Eventually, something would happen and I'd be hurt, again. Its how my life story goes. Its an endless circle of happiness, joy then hurt. I really hope Parker doesn't end up hurting me. He's the one thing in my life I really want.

There are things Parker doesn't know about my past. Things I had to do in order to survive. He can't have me in his life I'm too dangerous. Too deadly.

When I was 15 I made some... friends. They seemed nice I guess. They dressed in leather jackets and had many tattoos. They were much much older than me but that didn't seem to bother them. I was like a little sister to them. They protected me when things got rough. When something bad happened.

I had found one of their guns and thought it would've been cool to show my friends. I took it to school and while I was pulling it out of my bag it went off.

Even then my friends protected me. They knew it wasn't my fault someone died. They knew it was an accident and that I didn't understand how deadly a gun could be. But I still carry that guilt with me.

Parker had helped me forget. He helped me forget all my problems, worries and regrets.

But I couldn't keep hiding this from him. He deserved to the the truth. I was just scared that the truth would break us. That my secret would be what broke us.

The Sercret