14. The Past

Miranda Shanta above ⬆

A/N: This is so you know the past of Julie and you can understand what she went through

About 13 years ago,

I was a sweet 5-year-old little girl in her mother's arm.

She said, "I'll be gone only five minutes. You can watch TV in your room."

I knew she was going out with my dad to the corner store. She was 8 months pregnant at the time. She was in one of her cravings again. I was walking down the hallway to my room and shut the door. I was lying on my bed with my sketchbook in my hand listening to NCIS.

As I was getting ready to go to bed when there was a knock on the door. I got up making my way thinking it was my aunt who forgot her key. I opened the door to find two tall men standing there looking down at me.

"Is your aunt home?" one of them asked. I shook my head no and he looked at the other one.

"Is there a problem?" I asked.

"We are police officers and we're looking for your aunt. Do you have your aunts number?" the first one asked.

"I'm not supposed to let strangers inside," I said.

"We're no strangers. This is Mark and I'm Scott," Scott said.

"Okay," I said I little nervously. I led them to the phone, picked it up and called my aunt.

"Hello?" she said over the phone.

"Hello, Aunt Casey," I replied.

"Is there a problem, sweety?"

"I don't know. Police officers are here asking for you."

"Okay I'll be right there," she said nervously.

"I love you."

"I love you too," she replied.

"Do you like games?" I asked. The two officers looked at each other before smiling at me and nodding yes.

"Yay," I said and ran to the bookshelf and picked out a board game. I sat down on the floor and started to unload the pieces. Matt and Scott sat down in front of me. We played for a while until the door opened and my Aunt Casey walked in.

"Aunt Casey," I smiled and ran up to her.

"Hey sweety," she said and gave me a tight hug. She noticed the two police officers standing behind me and her smile instantly dropped. She led them into another room. A little while later she came out crying. She bent down to my height and started crying even harder.

"Mommy and daddy got into an accident. I'm so sorry, sweety. They aren't coming back. I'm so sorry," she said standing up and walking out the door.

"Aunty," I screamed but she was already in her car driving away. My godmother came over later but I just locked myself up in my room and cried. After a few days, there was a knock on my door. I got up and unlocked it, thinking it was my godmother coming to give me food. When she opened the door her face was full of sympathy.

"Julie, your aunt, Casey killed herself. I can no longer take care of you because I want to live my life to its fullest potential and am not ready to be tied down. I'm so sorry," she said. I just stood there, completely numb.

"Is that it or do you have some food?" I asked. She handed me my food and I closed the door and locked it. I walked back to my bed and watched some television before going to bed.

The next day some people came and took me away to a big house with lots of children. The kids there called it an orphanage. It's a place where kids go when they have no family. I went from home to home. I never stayed in one place for long. When I was around thirteen I started acting out. Picking fights, being reckless and trying to make myself forget. 

I moved in with Sharma when I was sixteen. She was so amazing.  She loved me like her own child. I got the biggest room in the house with the biggest bed. I got everything I wanted, which was not much, just food and water. We would eat dinner together, play games, and fall asleep watching movies together until she found herself a guy. He was sweet at first but I noticed things going missing. I tried to tell her but she was so madly in love with him she pushed me away. That's when I started going cold. She was replacing me with this thief. About two months into their relationship Sharma came home one day from work early. She was going to surprise her boyfriend, whatever his name was, at home since he was living with us. As she opened the door she saw him doing it with another girl. That's when she snapped. He wasn't just cheating on her, he was cheating on her in her own house. Ever since that day, she's never been the same. She's never been, my mom.

A few months ago I got Gravity. She was in a box in an alley and it was pouring rain so I took her home and from that day on we were each others family.  

The past has a way of catching up with us. Whether we want it or not.

The Past