11. The Sadness

I really don't want to be here. It's so uncomfortable. The people are staring like I have an extra eye or something. But Parker seems happy and I don't want to ruin this. Should I sacrifice Parker's happiness for my own selfishness? No, that's unfair to him. I'll just hang out in the kitchen feeling sorry for myself. Yeah, good plan. On my way to the kitchen, I just so happened to trip. Just as I was about to hit the ground an arm wrapped itself around my waist preventing my fall. I'm pulled into his chest and he places his head in the crook of my neck. Thank goodness for people who help other people when they're about to fall.

"Thank you," I said to Parker. I find it funny that I can recognize his sent by just being near him.

"You're very welcome, Cupcake," Parker whispers into my ear.

"I need a nickname for you," I whispered.

"Yeah?" he questioned.

"Yeah."

"Well it should be sexy like me," he smirked causing me to laugh.

"Okay, PS."

"PS what?"

"That's your nickname dummy."

"No, it's not."

"Fine, loverboy," I turn to place my face into the crook of his neck, placing soft kisses. He arches his neck into me making me smile by the way I affect him.

"That's better than PS," he groans.

"I know," I say running my hands through his hair.

"Hey," someone says interrupting our make-out session. I turn around and come face-to-face with a 16-year-old looking boy. He had many features similar to Parker, this must be his younger brother.

"Hey Theo," Parker responded.

"Who is this foxy lady?" Theodore asked licking his bottom lip then runny his thumb across it.

"Too old for you," I smirk.

"This is my girlfriend, Julie," Parker says glancing in my direction. Girlfriend. He's introducing me as his girlfriend. I can feel the slight blush creeping up my cheeks.

"Mom and Dad are looking for you," Theodore says.

"Again. I just came to say 'hey' and get something. I don't want to talk about stupid business deals and being set up for a date that I won't go to," Parker puffs out a breath in frustration. What will they think of me? What if they don't approve of me?

Julie, are you kidding me? You don't care if they don't like you as long as you're being yourself. You're not going to be this classy bitch kiss up because you're a street girl that doesn't have any manners. You're going to put your feet on the table, speak whats on your mind and chew your gum with your mouth open. You're going to be you, said my inner goddess. She's helped me out a lot when I need to be put in my place.

"Well don't look now but they're heading this way," Theodore glances behind us. Parker hooks our arms together and intertwined our fingers.

"Parker?" I hear a ladies voice behind us. We turn to come to see a 50-year-old looking woman and man. Parker's parents. I can already see the disapproving looks they're shooting my way. All I do is give a polite smile.

"Who is this?" his mom asked the disgust clear in her voice.

"This is probably some booty call," his father says. So he doesn't like me either. Probably because they didn't pick me, so sad.

"This is my girlfriend," Parker says, his jaw clenched in anger. I give his hand a reassuring squeeze.

"This is fun," I whisper only loud enough for him to hear.

"Girlfriend?" his dad asks shocked.

"Yeah. She's my girlfriend, not some booty call," Parker spits out.

"You said you needed to get something," I speak sensing the tension growing.

"Yeah. I'll only be a second," Parker says letting me go and heading up the stairs. I turn around to see Theodore still standing there.

"So how old are you Theodore?" I ask wanting to start a conversation.

"Sixteen," he replies.

"I was right. Do you go to our school?"

"Nah. I go to a private school but I will go there next year."

"Cool." I heard someone clear their throat behind me I chose it to ignore them.

"How long have you been going to Beach Shore?" Theodore asked.

"Not long. I started this year," I say.

"Hello?" I hear Parker's mom say as her husband clears his throat again. I spin around and raise my eyebrow questionably.

"Yes?"

"Stay away from our son. He can find someone so much better than you. You piece of sh," Mrs. Sands starts but I cut her off.

"Hell, no. I will not stay away from your son because he means so much to me. I bet he could find someone better but he chose me and the only piece's of shit is you two," I clench my fists before letting out a breath and smiling. I hear some say 'ooh' as I brush past them.

"Do you know who we are?"

"No. But I'm so happy Parker didn't end up like you two," I spit out and walk until I'm right in front of the door. "It was nice meeting you and see you again Theodore."

I step out onto the street and head towards Parker's car. I hear the front door shut and turn to see Parker walking towards me with a backpack on his shoulder.

"Hey, how are you?" Parker asked.

"I'm fine. A little hurt but I'm fine," I reply.

"What did they say to you?"

"Things but I put it back in their faces."

"That's my girl."

"That reminds me. Girlfriend? I didn't know about this."

"I'm sorry I thought you wouldn't mind."

"I never said I didn't mind. Just let me know next time. Okay, lover boy?"

"Okay, Cupcake."

"What's wrong with your parents?" I ask my curious side getting the best of me.

"They've always been like this. They never really cared. I basically raised myself and Theo. All they want from me is to be the heir to my dad's company. They're mean and will talk to you so bad it makes you think that you aren't good enough. Makes you feel like you shouldn't be loved. That you mean nothing. They may say it on the Christmas card but they love no one but themselves," he says looking up at me with teary eyes.

There was only sadness in his eyes as he spoke of his parents.

The Sadness.