A Credible Excuse

Start from the beginning

"Can you stop that shit, you've got a full bag, so let's go."

"Shut up.", he growled, not taking his eyes off the bottles. So you waited outside the supermarket for him and were angry. You decided to get involved with the few Walkers who were walking around among the houses. So you took a few arrows and practiced better aiming and centering. When you recovered from your anger, you stood near the market, waiting for the asshole to finally set off. He came out, leaned against the wall of the building and slid along it until he put his ass on the ground. He opened a bottle and sipped it.

"Now you want to drink too?", you asked annoyed.

"Fuck off.", he grunted.

You rarely lost patience, but Daryl had been bad at everyone for days. So you grabbed a big stone and threw it firmly on the back of the bottle. This broke and the contents of the bottle spread on the chest of the archer. Angrily he got up and joined you threateningly.

"The hell ya' want from me? I told ya' to fuck off!", he screamed into your face and his icy eyes just made you even more angry.

"At least you didn't look like an asshole when I met you.", you answered firmly.

"Ya' don't know shit 'bout me!", he grinned. You honestly wanted him to get angry and let go of all his hatred. You wanted him to tell the truth, which had disturbed him so much in the last few days...

"You can't stand anyone anymore, what's wrong with you, why are you acting like you're not worried about them?"

"'Cause it ain't important to me, I'm tired of their hope 'nd tired of ya' too!"

He wasn't a good liar. He was very interested in the group, but perhaps it had wronged him, probably without realizing it, because no one had the slightest idea what was going on in his head.

"You know that's not true, you love these people, you're one of them, I just have to see how you look at Rick, almost like a brother."

Damn, you thought. Merle. Merle was the problem. When Daryl heard that word, he quickly grabbed your throat. As a result, you lightly pressed the tip of a knife against his stomach to warn him.

"I've a brother 'nd Rick doesn't care, he's been gone for days 'nd this asshole won't allow me to search for him with the excuse that I serve him! Ya' know, if the Governor attacks...", he yelled. He removed his grip and dropped his arm to his sides, you did the same and moved the knife away. Then he bent his head and stared at the street. Finally he had said it, he had released the hate and let go of the anger he had in him. But the conversation continued on Daryl's side: "It's all bullshit, the truth is, nobody cares 'bout Merle, they don't care what happened to him, they take it for granted that he's back with this bastard."

This man was worried about his brother and you knew what fate he had had, but you couldn't tell him... You understood why the group wasn't particularly interested, in short, Merle was no saint and he was it who brought Maggie and Glenn to the Governor. You don't think anybody forgave him...

"If that's the case, why didn't you just look for him?"

He didn't answer you. Maybe it was hard for him to disobey Rick. You didn't know why, but he had a high regard for the sheriff and probably knew in his heart that Merle had actually gone to Woodbury. It was normal for him to suffer, but as far as you could tell, Daryl was always grumpy and moody. Probably the group had come to terms with his position... You went back into the store and came out with another bottle of the same alcohol, but Daryl shook his head. So you sat down, drank it yourself, offered it to him again and this time he nodded. You stood in silence for ten minutes, watching the destroyed neighborhood of this ruined town. He didn't apologize for the tone of his voice and the behavior he had, but he spoke to you with his eyes.