A Warning

"Hika-"

My words were cut short by the soft kiss. I was immobile. My eyes were wide open and I could see the small freckles dotting his cheeks and his unbelievably long lashes. His fringe was tickling my cheek and it bothered me, but I couldn't say anything. My body seized.

He pressed his hand to my waist, hugging me to his chest, the other hand resting on my cheek. His thin fingers stroked my face, all the way down to my neck before coming back up. He didn't make any move to stop himself. He was lost in his own world and I was freaking out on the inside.

What do I do? Why is this happening? I have to say something! Chi! Say something!

The hand caressing my cheek traveled up to my hair, entangling itself amongst the brown strands. His hand at my waist slid over to the cutout of the gown where my side was exposed, cold hand placed there instead. The blazer fell to the ground.

It was a firestorm. Even though his hand seemed like ice, I was burning. His touch lit me on fire and the flames licked at my very soul, ordering me to move, react, kiss him back.

My eyes fluttered shut, allowing the blaze to take over. The wildfire caught every dry blade of grass and twig in the area and ballooned into the air. The pounding wind urged the fire to grow into the sky. The atmosphere begged the fire to quell, but the fire burned on without regard for the rest of the universe. It was the only thing in existence at the moment.

My lungs begged for air, and my senses begged for Hikaru.

I gave into my need for oxygen, breaking the kiss. The sounds of cicadas and the car horns beeping in the distance flooded into my ears. The universe was taunting me for giving in. I took a step back; Hikaru took a step forward. I backed up more, and felt the blunt edge of my key dig into my lower back. I tilted my head up to see his face. I couldn't hide from reality. His cheeks were painted with a bright flush, too. He opened his mouth to speak, but I cut him off, much like he did to me. Anger was brimming at the surface, threatening to spill over, whether it was directed at him or myself I don't know.

"What was that for, Hikaru?" I let my head fall back against the cold glass of my door, loving the cold contrasting my feverish burning. "It...Why?"

"Because you look perfect. You are perfect," he whispered, lips nearing my mouth again. "You could tell us apart, Chi. You don't treat us like glass." His lips were hovering my own now, mere centimeters separating the fire from exploding into the sky again. "You may be rough, sarcastic, brutally honest, but you're perfect right now in this moment." He pressed a chaste kiss on my lips again before letting go of me all together. The air blew between us, signaling the finite end of the tension. The freezing air wrapped around me again in a flash.

Hikaru now stood a handful of steps in front of me, hands tucked into his pockets. "As much as I'd like to kiss you until I can't breathe right now, Chi, it's late and you have a fever." The amber of his eyes held specks of golds and browns, pure amber.

"Wait, Hika-"

He pressed a nimble finger to his lips. "We'll talk later. I'll see you on Monday, Chi. Call Haruhi or some of us over if you want company. I'd gladly come over in a second." He winked at me and smirked, personality back to normal, at least what I wished was normal.

He spun around on one foot, waving to me. "Bye, Chi. Get well soon!"

He was gone.

No shadow lurked behind, no figure in the distance, nothing remained in front of me to reassure me that the kiss had happened. My only confirmation was the blood rushing to my face as tears collected at the corners of my eyes. Maybe I had blanked out for a second, minute, hour. Time stopped. It was as if the balance of the world was teetering but it was also standing firm; the world was in monotone but also in vibrant color; the kiss was surreal but real at the same time.