Promise

"It is so good to see you here tonight, my little lambs. The Ouran host club would like to bid you welcome." With a wink and dazzling smile, the guests were head over heels once more for the King of the Host Club.

The cool vice president stepped forward with his own words. "As always, ladies, the host club members are here for your entertainment. So we invite you to dance to your heart's content. Based on her dancing skills, one lucky young lady will be chosen as tonight's queen. The queen's reward will be a passionate kiss on the cheek from our king," he proclaimed.

Daring.

Hearing the reward from where I stood in the middle of the crowd, I had an urge to go up and slap some sense into them all. Was I like this a few weeks ago? Happy to get kissed by a hot guy? I highly doubt that. Well, maybe not really, they are hot... Ah! Get it together! These are your friends!

I leaned farther into the corner I had situated myself in, still avoiding putting pressure on my right foot. Despite all the complaints Tamaki and the twins gave me about not wearing heels with a gown there was no way in hell I was going to traipse around in high heels. I just favored my left leg and hid my feet with the silk fabric that fell to the marble floor.

"Good luck to you all, my ladies!" Tamaki exclaimed.

I sighed – they just can't lay off the charm for one second. Bowing to the dressed up gaggle of girls, the Host Club stepped off the grand staircase, diverging into different paths, clad in my designs. Not to pat myself on the shoulder, but the outfits looked pretty damn good. Red velvet, blended black cashmere, silk linings for the multicolored hosts' blazers all shined brightly as they glided across the floor to interact with their visitors. Seeing the crowd shift to find their respective hosts and dates choosing to instead find my favorite brunette. I excused my way over to where Haruhi stood staring at the buffet.

She doesn't change. A huge, elegant party is underway and she's drooling over the spread. And don't mind if I do too.

"Haru! What are doing here? Go dance – I mean, or at least not trip," I joked, chuckling lightly. When she didn't respond, I noticed her glazed eyes fixed on table. "Uh, do you want something to eat or are you just hoping that by staring at a table you'll casually be home again?" No answer. "Um, Haruhi, earth to Haruhi, you there?" I tried poking her again and again, until the twins showed up, having seen the frozen state.

"What's up with her?" Hikaru slipped his arm onto my shoulders as he peered down at the smaller host.

Kaoru spoke up too, wrapping his arm around my waist. "Maybe she's looking to see what's good. It's a lot to choose from."

"Especially for a commoner," the two chorused with mischief clear in their voices. The tight grip around my waist got even tighter, pushing me into his side. They've been doing that more often, setting their arms on my shoulders or my waist, ever since I started calling them by their first names, actually. But he always aims for my waist first before his brother can get to it. It's just a little weird and unsettling. Don't think I'm complaining! I have absolutely no problem with him doing it, but it just feels... weird, like it just shouldn't be happening. And my bright red face is probably completely exposing me at the moment.

I'm going to go crazy if I keep talking to myself in my head. Honestly, they do it to Haruhi and the other girls, sometimes, so why worry? Right? I know they're charismatic, meaning end of discussion. They're hosts and a host is a host is a host till they die.

We heard murmuring from Haruhi and the three of us leaned closer in to be able to decipher just what the mumbling was about.

"Fancy tuna..." She sighed with her whole body, eyes still staring, yet her body deflating.