52.

Jonathan was sitting on the empty side of a lunch table, going through the photos on his camera when he saw it happen.

Tommy shoved Steve, hard. Hard enough to make Steve stumble backward, almost falling. Steve shoved Tommy back almost immediately. Nancy got in between the two, trying her best to keep them apart.

Jonathan quickly got up and walked over. "Byers!" Tommy yelled. "Perfect timing!"

"Tommy," Jonathan said quietly, looking around to see Carol standing to the side, crying. "Don't do this."

"Don't do what?" Steve asked. He looked at Jonathan, but he just avoided Steve's eyes like he had been for the last two weeks.

"Please." Jonathan whispered, looking at Tommy with pleading eyes.

"Don't do what?" Steve repeated himself, frustration clear in his voice.

Tommy didn't respond to either of them. Instead he turned to Nancy, who was still standing in between him and Steve. "Nancy, there's something I should tell you."

Nancy furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, looking at Steve and then back at Tommy. "Okay?"

"So you remember that party Steve had a few weeks ago?" Nancy nodded, still confused as Tommy continued. "Well, he thought it'd be a smart idea to play a game of spin the bottle."

Jonathan could feel Steve's eyes burning a hole through him, but he wouldn't dare to move his gaze from the ground. This was not how he wanted Steve to find out about the kiss.

"He even made it clear that we were playing the version of the game where you go into the closet with the person, rather than just kiss them then and there, because he knew some people there were taken. But here's the funny thing, when Byers here spun the bottle and landed on him, that didn't seem to stop Steve from sucking face with him in the closet."

Jonathan finally looked up and saw Steve still staring at him with wide eyes. There were so many things he wanted to tell him.
'I'm sorry,' 'it wasn't supposed to happen this way,' 'I wanted to tell you, I just didn't know how,' but none of the words could leave his throat.

"Is this true?" Nancy said shakily, turning towards Steve.

Steve opened his mouth to respond but quickly closed it. He didn't know what to say because he didn't know if it was true or not. He remembered a little bit of the spin the bit of the spin the bottle game, sitting in the circle beside Jonathan, but he didn't remember anything involving a closet.

"Yes!" Tommy answered when Steve didn't. "I walked into the closet and saw it with my own eyes."

"Steve." Nancy said, not taking her eyes off of him. "Tell me. Is it true?"

"I don't know." He answered, honestly. "I-I don't remember much from the party. I remember playing the game and hanging out with Jonathan, but I don't remember going into the closet and.." Steve looked at Jonathan, everything still processing in his mind. "..kissing him."

"It's true." Jonathan said, causing Nancy to turn around. "We..um, we kissed."

Tears welled in Nancy's eyes as she looked anywhere but at her boyfriend.

"Nance.." Steve went to put his hand on her shoulder, but she shoved his hand away.

"Don't!" She yelled, earning a few glances from classmates who were sitting around them. Nancy lowered her voice. "Just, don't." She grabbed her bag and pretty much sprinted out of the cafeteria.

"Nancy, wait!" Steve called after her. He shoved past Tommy and Jonathan, causing Jonathan's camera to slip out of his hand and hit the ground, shattered into a million pieces, and after Nancy.

Jonathan just stood there. He didn't care about the camera. He couldn't care less. The only thing he cared about was his friendship, or whatever it was he had with Steve. It was probably over. For good. Not a petty fight like they were already in. No. Things were ruined.

Tommy gave him a sick smirk and that was all it look for Jonathan to punch him straight in the nose.

He didn't even care that he would get suspended for 'ruining' his nose, because Tommy had ruined so much more.

Author's Note:

3 updates today! Whoop! I'm gonna try to update at least once a day since its summer and I have a lot more time to write! :))