#1 You Were My New Dream (Dean x Reader)

Pairing: Dean x Reader

Summary: Dean Winchester wasn't the commitment type. Until he met her. He never intended on being in a relationship, and he sure as hell never intended on falling in love.

___

Dean Winchester was a fairly simple man. Set aside the hunting and the death, he was just plain Dean Winchester. Womanizing, beer drinking, classic rock loving Dean Winchester.

He didn't like to be tied down. "No strings attached," He'd tell the many women he'd bring to his motel bed. In the life he lived, significant others weren't an option. It was dangerous, on so many levels, for both parties, and he refused to put anyone in danger.

Until he met her.

He'd never felt like that about anyone. With her, he felt weightless. She brought light to his dark world. She brought happiness to his world of nothing but death and sorrow. She showed him what love truly felt like.

He would sit at one of the tables in the back corner of the bar, secluded from the rest of the patrons, beer in hand and eyes fixated on the ethereal waitress. Her smile alone caused his heart to swell and butterflies to fill his stomach. And when she'd make her way over to him, asking him if he needed anything else in that honey-dripping voice of hers, he'd lose himself, completely and utterly captivated by the alluring woman in front of him.

He never planned on even going out with her, let alone falling in love.

But he did.

Y/N Y/L/N was everything Dean Winchester dreamed about having. She was kind, smart, funny and beautiful. She put up with his bullshit and stress of a hunter's life, and took care of him when he returned home from a hunt bloody and bruised. She cooked for him and Sam, cleaned the Bunker when needed, but most of all, she loved him. She loved a man who thought he wasn't capable of being loved.

It was around one in the morning, the night sky dark and dotted with millions of stars. The soft breeze ran over their skin and brushed through their hair, the cool air a pleasant contrast against their warm skin.

Dean's arms were tightly wrapped around her waist, her head resting against his chest as the two of them stared up at the sky.

"Do you ever wish you could just... Escape?" She murmured. Dean found himself burying his face into her hair as she spoke, his arms wrapping tighter around her, his lips pressing tiny kisses onto the top of her head. "Just, stay here, together. Not having to worry about demons and monsters or old drunks at the bar. Just the two of us, out here, growing old, not a care in the world."

"All the time," He told her. He sighed deeply, wishing he could, in fact, stay there, cuddled closely with the woman he loved. He wished he could give her everything she deserved, but he knew he couldn't. And it broke his heart knowing she gave up a perfect life for him.

But Dean was selfish when it came to her. He couldn't live without her. He wouldn't live without her.

And it scared the crap out of him. Everyone around him ended up dead, but he couldn't bring himself to stay away from her.

"That's my dream. To grow old with you. Be wrinkly with a dozen cats-" Dean chuckled at that, her bell like laugh music to his ears,- "Sit out here in a rocking chair on the front porch of our old farmhouse, watching the stars and listening to the crickets chirp in the tall grass." She looked up at him, her E/C eyes staring into his emerald ones with such love, he felt as though his heart would burst. "What's your dream?"

"I'm not sure, but I love yours," He whispered. She smiled and pressed her lips softly to his.

He wasn't sure what his dream was yet, what he really wanted. But whatever it was, he knew it would be perfect, knowing she'd be by his side.

***

It was one mistake, one simple, stupid mistake, that brought his whole world crumbling down around him.

His throat was screamed raw, his wrists torn and bloodied where they pulled at the chains around them. The demon's sinister laugh bounced off the walls as she let Y/N's body slip from her arms and to the floor, her head cracking against the tile with a sharp crack that made Dean's blood run cold.

"You killed my mate, Dean," The demon said softly. She bent down in front of the hunter and ran her fingertips under his chin, Dean flinching away from her touch. "So I kill yours. Now you have to live the rest of your sad life knowing you caused her death."

The demon stood back up, and with a snap of her fingers, the chains were gone and so was she.

Dean scrambled across the cold floor, his hands desperately reaching for his love. Her breaths came in short pants, her skin clammy and paling.

"I... I'm so sorry," He croaked. Tears streamed down his cheeks as he ran his hands through her soft, H/C hair. She swallowed, the metallic taste of blood in her mouth confirming her worst fears. She knew she didn't have long, and it broke her heart that she was leaving him.

"Don't be," She whispered. "I... I wouldn't have asked for anything else, Dean. You were the best thing that ever happened to me."

Dean let out a sob, his heart cracking inside his chest. He stared down at her, his fingers running over her hair and cheeks.

"Tell me something," She said.

"Anything, love," He told her. She took a breath, a gurgling wheeze sounding from deep within her chest.

"Your dream," She uttered. "What was it?"

Dean thought for a moment. After hearing hers, he never really thought of another one for himself, knowing he wouldn't want anything else other than her. And he got her. He got the love he didn't deserve and he got a glimpse of what true happiness could be.

"You were my new dream," He whispered, his voice cracking. She let out a shaky sob, her fingers grasping for his.

"And you were mine." Her eyes flitted over his face, memorizing every freckle and line. "I love you, Dean Winchester."

And with those words, her hand fell from his hand and her eyes glazed over, her chest still.

"No, no, no," Dean cried. He pressed his forehead to hers, his heart shattering into a million pieces. His tears fell from his cheeks to hers, and he rocked her back and forth in his arms, murmuring, "I love you," over and over.

Dean had never felt pain like this. His heart had been ripped from his chest and stomped on. He screamed profanities into the air, begging Chuck to bring her back. Begging anyone who was listening to just bring her back to him.

But no one responded to his desperate pleas. No one was listening. There was just Dean, cradling the body of his love, wishing this was all a nightmare.

But he knew it was real. Y/N was dead, and even if he was still breathing, he wasn't truly alive, not without her.