Chapter 54

Taylor's POV

"Mom, I think I'm gay"

His gaze draws up to mine and I'm stuck in a state of shock. Not that it's bad that he's gay, just he's so young, and I didn't know that he knew, or how he could know. I really don't know how to respond either; I know his father is completely against that and I don't want him to know, but I don't want Mason to be ashamed of who he is.

"Mom?" his voice cracks and I look back up at him. Tears well in his eyes and I rush over to the side of his chair, "I'm sorry"

"No, Mason don't be sorry, I-I just don't know how to respond just yet" I hold him to my chest and people look over at us

"I know it's not what you wanted mom, I'm sorry"

"shhh, let's go out to the car, okay?" I flag the waiter down and hand him a 50, bringing Mason outside.

"I'm sorry"

"Hey, look at me." I grab his cheeks and wipe the tears away, "I shouldn't have expected anything from you, whether you like boys or girls; that is up to you. It's what makes you, you Mason and I can't be mad at you for it. I never could be mad at you sweetheart."

"I'm not the son you hoped for"

"I never said that Mas, just being you is what I hope for. I hope that you're happy and that you're nothing but. I want you to be you."

He nods and I wipe the rest of his tears, "Audrey will make fun of me"

"No she won't, no one will make fun of you. It will be unacceptable in this household. I don't want you to ever apologize for who you are. Do you understand me?"

He nods again and I help him into the car, "I love you Mason" I give him a kiss on the forehead and head to the driver's side. "Should we pick your brother and sister up?"

"and Ed?"

"yes and Ed" I laugh and pull out onto the road.

"I don't want to be a tattletale but Chris and Audrey still makeout once and a while" he turns to me and smiles

"I figured"

"I also see you and Ed making-out sometimes" his smile still remains on his face and I turn away

"That is another story"

"We have a ten minute ride."

"Longer than that" I turn on the radio and he turns it off,

"if I can confess to you, you can confess to me" I laugh at his way of swaying me to talk to him, "I mean Audrey told me some already, but I wanted to hear your side. Is this just a way of getting over dad? Or forgetting him?"

"I don't know what it is honey, I guess I just need someone to remind me that someone can actually treat me well, unlike your father"

"He tried to call us last night" I quickly look over at him and he starts to play with his shorts again, "He left a voicemail too but I didn't listen to it"

"Can you play it please?" he nods and pulls out his phone, putting his passcode in and pulling up the voicemail

"Hey buddy, uhm, how did baseball turn out? I hope things went well. I want to talk to your mother soon; maybe I could come see you guys? I miss you, I miss you at lot. I'm getting better; I've gone three weeks without a drink. Yeah just about three weeks. I called Audrey too, she didn't answer. How is she? Volleyball is starting up for her right? Maybe I can make it to one of her games... when she makes varsity and all. Have your mom call me. Love you"