Chapter 26

Chapter 26

{Skylar}

     We get to the paint store and Conner parks the car. "Ready to go?" He asks and we both nod our heads. I help Daisy get out of the car and put her on my hip as we walk into the store. A few people look at us, but we just ignore it. "Skylar?" Daisy asks and I turn my head to face her. "Yes, Daisy? What's up?" I ask, giving her my full attention. "Why are those people looking at us like we're bad people?" She asks and I look at Conner who just sighs.

     "Well....they aren't like us. They're just jealous that we're awesome and they aren't." I explain to the best of my ability. "Skylar?! Is that you?!" I hear someone shout behind me and turn my head to see a guy running toward me. Conner stands in front of me, but I push him to the side gently. "It's fine Conner," I say and he growls but moves nonetheless. He guys come up to us and smile at me. "I knew it was you, Skylar. How have you been?" He asks as I hand Daisy to Conner. "Skylar who is this?" Daisy asks and Conner growls quietly. "Yeah, Skylar. Who is this?" Conner asks and I glare at him.

     "This is a friend from my old high school," I reply and the guy nods his head. "Yeah! I'm Greg. It's nice to meet you two." Greg says as he reaches his hand out to Conner. Conner shakes the guy's hand and squeezes it for good measure. Greg winced but shakes his hand a few times. "Daisy and I will get the paint while you talk to...Greg." Conner says with disgust all over his face as he walks away. "Will you grab some gray paint for me please?" I call out and hear a grunt in response. I sigh and roll my eyes before I look at Greg.

     "So...how have things been since we last saw each other?" I ask Greg as we both walk through the store. "Pretty good actually. Sarah and I got married last month and we just came back from the honeymoon." He says and I smile. "Really? That's wonderful! I would've sent you a gift if I'd known." I say as we reach the aisle he was going towards before he grabs some wood. "Sorry about that. You were the only werewolf in our school and some of our classmates were a little worried." He says while rubbing the back of his neck. "What were they worried about? Were they worried about me going crazy and attacking everyone there? Why would I do that?!" I ask getting angry very quickly.

     "Because of your temper, Skylar. You're not the best when you get upset." He says and I roll my eyes. "Why would I get angry at a wedding?" I ask as I put my hands on my hips. "I could think of a few pretty good reasons." He says and I laugh dryly and start to walk away. "I'm sorry Skylar. Sarah didn't want you at the wedding, and I had to agree with her wishes. It wasn't my choice." He says and I turn around to face him. "You could've just told me that. I would've understood if she didn't want me there. You were my only friend when I was there." I say and he frowns. "I know. I'm so sorry." He says and I sigh. "Yeah, well I'll see you around," I tell him and he sighs.

     "There you go again. Running off somewhere." He says and I roll my eyes. "I'm not running off I just-"

Where are you, Skylar? Daisy and I are ready to go and get something to eat.

     I hear Conner say in my head and I nod to myself.

I'm coming. I'm honestly ready to go.

     I reply thinking and turn around to face Greg. "I'm sorry Greg, but I've got to go. It was really nice seeing you again, but Conner needs me." I reply before walking off quickly to meet Conner and Daisy.

     I quickly make my way over to them and take Daisy from Conner before putting her on my lap. "Hey, sweet girl," I say as I kiss the side of her temple. She smiles and hugs me tightly around my neck and kisses my cheek. "Hi." She says while laying her head on my shoulder. Conner pays for the paint and we all leave the store. We get into the car and I put Daisy in her car seat smiling to myself when I see that she's asleep. I get into the passenger's side of the car and buckle myself up. Conner puts the paint in the trunk and gets in the car before he pulls off.

     "Who was he?" Conner asks as he grips the steering wheel. "A friend from school...my only friend from school actually," I reply and he doesn't give any reaction. "Only friend? What do you mean?" He asks and I look at my fingers and sigh softly. "I was the only werewolf in my school because werewolves and humans don't usually mix. Greg was the only human who treated me like I wasn't a freak, okay? He got married and I wasn't invited to the wedding because I'm a werewolf." I explain having to grind my teeth to keep from getting angry. "I'm sorry Skylar...I didn't know." He says and I sigh. "I don't really make an effort to go around telling people that I was an outcast," I mumble as I cross my arms over my chest and look out of the window. Conner reaches out for me but I pull my arm away from him. "I don't wanna talk about it, okay? I just wanna go home." I reply and keep my eyes away from his. "I'm sorry." He says again and I can only nod my head. "We'll talk later tonight, okay?" I say and see him nod from the corner of my eye.