chapter nineteen

warning: this chapter is really cringey and I hate myself everyday for it, so I apologize that you have to read it
He sat in the darkness, eyes weary, mind blank as he stared at the area that was below the trapdoor. It wasn't any use, as he had heard Mike and David move something huge over the trapdoor, most likely a sofa of some kind. So, instead of trying to escape, he stared into the void of pure black. After what felt like months of worrying and crying, he felt dry. Empty. Like he was a nobody. That he was nonexistent. He had searched for his phone, but he must've dropped it while being dragged into the rabbit hole. Everything was blurry, including himself and his memories. The silence was unbearable, but he kept himself void of emotion. Right now, he wanted nothing. He wanted to feel nothing. He wanted to be nothing. And, right now, when the ringing of his own mind was the only thing he could hear, he was succeeding. He was startled out of his state, however, when the noise of a vase(?) being knocked over made itself heard.

"God damnit! You need to be careful, Paul!"

...

Paul?

Where did he recognize that name?

"Come on, the only one who could hear us is Tom!"

Tom...?

The only other two people that could be here were named Mike and David.

So...

Was Tom him?

"Paul?" he called out, unsure, voice cracking from dehydration. Silence followed, everything in the house going quiet.

"Tom? Is that you? It's Patryk," yelled out another voice, motherly and concerned.

"Yeah, I think so. I don't know. I don't remember too much," he admitted, keeping his voice loud. The two voices seemed to discuss for a few moments before the noise of feet pattering could be heard.

"Alright, Tom. I need you to tell me where you are," Patryk shouted.

"I'm in a tiny little space under the floor, it's the rab-"

the rabbit hole?

the rabbit hole

he fell down the rabbit hole

oh god im sorry

god no no no i didnt mean to

wake up

wake up

i didnt mean to

wake up

WAKE UP

YOURE OKAY

JUST WAKE UP

I NEED YOU PLEASE WAKE UP

DONT DIE

PLEASE WAKE UP

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONI'MSORRYPLEASESTOPIDIDN'TMEANTO—

"Tom! TOM! Calm down! No one's dying!"

ITWASN'TMYFAULTIDIDN'TMEANTODON'THURTMEI'MSOSORRYINEVERMEANTFORTHISTOHAPPENYOUDON'TDESERVETHISWAKEUPWAKEUPPLEASEJUSTWAKEUPINEEDYOU—

"Tord, hurry up! He's having a panic attack or something!"

YOUWEREN'TSUPPOSEDTOFALLNONONONOPLEASEWAKEUPOHGODISTHATBLOODNONOWAKEUPIDIDN'TMEANTOYOU'REOKAYJUSTWAKEUPWAKEUPGODNOI'MSOSORRY—

"Tom, calm down, it's okay. No one fell. There is no blood. Everybody is awake. Everyone is alive," someone new spoke, and his words made Tom shut up, but he kept sobbing at the memory of him falling-

I didn't mean to-

"No! No, stop, just focus on my voice, Tom. You're okay," reassured the same voice. "We're gonna move this couch, okay? We'll get out out, no problem."

Tom didn't stop his crying, but focused on the smooth accented voice. The noise of wood scraping on wood filled his ears, along with heavy breathing from who he assumed was the three people.

"Fucking hell, we got it!" Paul gasped, heaving for air. Tom crawled over to the space where the trap door was right above, placing his hands on it.

"It's locked," he hissed, trying to push it up.

"Look, we'll pull, you push, okay?" Patryk suggested.

"Okay," he replied back. He began to push as hard as he could, his muscles straining.

"Oh, fuck!" cursed Paul when the door opened, a loud POP!  Tom heaved himself up weakly, climbing out of the tiny hole. He only just noticed how hard he was shaking, and how his crying had stopped.

"You're still wearing my sweatshirt," a voice breathed. Tom looked up, and memories began flooding back. Tord stood there, smiling. The groupchat. His friends. Everything, every little detail just took him over, tears beginning to stream down his face, though he was silent. A grin full of joy made it's way on his face. He was crying tears of joy. It was a new feeling, warmth spreading through his body.

Then the door opened.

"Oh, fan-fucking-tastic."