chapter twenty-five

/\Tom's POV/\

Tom narrowed his eyes as he stared at Nick. "Are you sure this is a good idea?"

Nick snorted, watching as Tom dropped from the fence. "Don't ya, like, trust me?"

"Well, I've sobered up, so I'm smart enough to know that this probably isn't the best choice of our lives," Tom responded, brushing off his knees.

Rolling his eyes, Nick grabbed Tom's hand and pulled him along. "Live a little, Tom!"

"Nick. The bank is bound to be slippery, please be careful," Tom sighed, letting his boyfriend pull him along.

"Pft, I'll be fine," Nick giggled, sending Tom a confident grin as he rushed to the edge of the river.

"Puer Stella River," Tom sighed, memories flooding back. "Hey, Nick?"

"Yeeees?" Nick slurred, turning around to face the Brit, still holding his hand.

"Do you remember the song from when we first met?" his voice cracked halfway as he stared at Nick hopefully.

Nick leaned in, mouth close to his ear, and whispered, "Wise men say, only fools rush in."

"But I can't help falling in love with you," Tom murmured back. Nick took him into an embrace and began to slow dance, grinning.

"Oh, shall I stay?" Nick moved gracefully, not minding if Tom stepped on his foot, "Would it be a sin?"

"Oh, if I can't help... falling in love with you." Tears began to prick Tom's eyes as they danced, warmth spreading through him.

"Like a river flows surely to the sea, darling, so it goes, some things are meant to be," sang Nick, twirling Tom.

"Take my hand, take my whole life too, for I can't help falling in love with you." He was grinning at this point, squeezing Nick softly, "Oh, like a river flows surely to the sea, darling, so it goes, some things are meant to be."

"Take my hand, take my whole life, too, for I can't help falling in love with you. Oh, I can't help fal-" Nick was interrupted when he slipped suddenly, causing Tom to fall backwards, landing on his butt. When he realized what happened, he started giggling, watching as Nick lay sprawled on the grass.

"You're such a klutz, Nick," he giggled louder, though with a lack of response, his tone softened, "Nick? You okay over there?"

No response.

Tom awkwardly crawled over, a small nervousness filling him, but he kept trying to remind himself that he was probably just tired. "Hey, Nick? Are you okay?" Tom once again didn't receive an answer, and Tom shook him lightly. "Oh, God, I'm sorry, are you okay?"

A deafening silence filled the air.

"Wake up," he whispered, beginning to shake harder, his fear beginning to burn. "Wake up. Come on, you're okay, just... wake up." Tom's voice cracked, and he began to reach for his phone. "Hey, I need you. Wake up, Nick," his voice was soft. His other hand went to lift Nick's head, but he quickly retracted his hand when a liquid touched his finger tips. "Oh... oh, God, is that blood?" he unconsciously raised his voice as terror overtook him "Oh my God, NICK! NICK, FUCK, I'M SORRY, THIS IS ALL MY FUCKING FAULT!"

Some sense made its way into his brain as he slipped his phone out and dialed 911, hyperventilating.

"911, where is your emergency?" a kind female voice fluttered through as Tom tried to calm his breathing.

"I, uh, fuck, Stella Park, at the river," he stuttered out, tears beginning to stream out of his eyes.

"Alright, what's going on?"

Tom let out a shaky breath before answering, "My boyfriend, shit, he slipped, his head is bleeding and he won't wake up, Fuck, Nick, wake up!"

The girl paused before continuing, "We have an ambulance and an officer the way. Do you know how this happened?"

"We were dancing, he was drunk, and he slipped, I think he hit his head on something, fuck, Nick, please wake up," Tom started to sob, breaths coming fast.

"Hey, I'm sure it's alright," she said softly, "I'm sure he just fainted."

"You w-weren't supposed to fall, you're okay, just wake up," Tom cried, grasping Nick's shirt.

For awhile, he just wailed, though he faintly remembered being dragged away from Nick.

Nick never woke up again.

He had fallen on a very sharp rock, apparently, and it penetrated his skull. There was very little chance of him surviving.

All because of a rumor of a fucking rabbit hole.

Rabbit hole.