14- Saying goodbye

Start from the beginning

Antonio walked outside with Harlow's brother after the service was finished, talking to him about Harlow's final days. Her brother Ethan, felt guilty for not visiting her. "Don't feel bad, not many people came to visit her. She didn't want anyone seeing her the way she was." Antonio assured him, trying to make him feel a little better.

"I know, but it still doesn't make it right." Ethan said sadly. "It makes me feel a little better that we talked on the phone, and that I talked to her before she passed away, but I still wish that I had made time to come see her." he says, lowering his head, feeling terrible.

Antonio gave him a hug. "Keep in touch." Antonio says to him, patting his back. "I do miss the days of us hanging out, and having fun. Remember how inseparable we were?"

Ethan smiled, and chuckled. "Yea I do, until Harlow put a stop to it."

"Oh, the good ole days..." Antonio says, finally smiling.

Sadie walked over to Antonio and Ethan with the girls, looking at Antonio, and sliding some of her hair away from her face, from the wind. "Gabriella wanted to be by you."

"Ethan... this is Sadie, Sadie... Ethan, Harlow's brother." Antonio says, introducing them. Ethan looked at her with a grin, and gave her a curious look.

"She has been our nanny since Harlow got sick, she's also been a huge part of our lives, and helped Harlow out quite a bit."

"Nice to meet you." Sadie said politely, shaking Ethan's hand. Ethan smiled, Harlow had talked to him about her, but had never got the chance to meet her. "Nice to finally meet you, thanks for helping Harlow out, I know she appreciated it."

"They became pretty close, especially towards the end." Antonio said, looking at Sadie.

The director came out, and had everyone follow him over to the gravesite. After the service was finished, Antonio sat on the chair staring at the coffin, holding hands with his girls, not wanting to leave.

Sadie looked around the crowd of people, looking for Antonio and saw him still sitting on the chair with the kids, and walked over to him.

"It's time to leave Antonio, everyone is heading over to the banquet hall." she said, reaching for Gabriella's hand. He slowly stood up, while keeping his eyes glued to Harlow's casket, not saying a word while holding onto Isabella's hand.

"Shall we?" Sadie asked quietly.

At the hall, Sadie noticed that Antonio was distancing himself from everyone, and walked over to him. "Need someone to talk to?" she asked, looking at him concerned.

"Sadie, I don't mean to be rude, but I need to be by myself right now, if you could get the girls home, I'd appreciate it."

She sat down next to him and glared at him "I understand you need time to yourself, just please don't ignore your kids."

"Please go."

Sadie gave him an evil look and sighed as she stood up, she didn't want to make a scene in front of everyone. Without saying anything, she walked away, and looked for the girls so they could leave. Antonio watched her leave, and felt bad for snapping at her. He knew she hadn't done anything wrong, and knew she was trying to help.

Antonio walked over to Ethan, and talked with him for a while, until Ethan suggested that they go to the bar for a bit, and talk there.

They left the banquet hall and headed for a bar they used to hang out at, sat down at the end of the bar, away from everyone, and had a few drinks while they talked. Ethan looked at Antonio, and leaned back in his chair. "That nanny of yours... Sadie is it?" Ethan asked with a grin.

"What about her?"

"Is she single?" Ethan asked, with a slight slur.

Ethan's question hit a nerve with Antonio, he looked at him wanting to tell him to stay away from her, but let it go, only shrugging his shoulders.

"So, she is single." Ethan asked again.

"No... no she isn't." Antonio said quietly, knowing that he was lying to him. He didn't know why he lied to him, it just came out quickly, without him thinking. He stared at his drink thinking to himself that he was an idiot for saying that to his brother in law.

"Well that's too bad, she's a hottie."

Antonio cringed again, and finished the rest of his drink. "I better go, those girls need me." He stood up, and placed cash under his glass.

"I'll be staying in touch." Ethan smiled, watching Antonio leave.

Ethan waved at the bartender. "One more please." he says, handing him his glass.

Antonio walked into the house and saw Sadie walking down the stairs, she wouldn't even look at him, still pissed at him about earlier. "If you even care, the girls are in bed, but they're still awake." she barked, while walking past him.

"Of course I care." he said loudly, clearly slurring, and trying to hide that he was drinking.

"You have a funny way of showing it." she yelled back.

Antonio groaned, and walked up the stairs. He walked into the girls bedroom and turned on the light.

"Daddy!" Gabriella yelled excited.

"Shhh, lay back down, I was just coming in to say goodnight."

"Daddy, is Sadie our new mommy now?" Gabriella asked, batting her eyes at him. She had a curious look on her face, and he didn't know what to say to her. He took a deep breath, and kissed her on the forehead.

"Go to sleep, it's late... you too Isabella." he says to her, and leaned down kissing Isabella on her forehead. "Goodnight you two."