Chapter 25

Kert

It was her. Out of everyone to come here, she was here.

"Nan?", I was breathless. Nan smiled, but Natasha was skeptical.

"How are you sure?", Natasha said. Nan was filled with understanding rather than anger.

"Well kiddo," Nan showed a hidden tattoo on her forearm. Ancient symbols marked closely together that can mean anything. Nash eyes were with recognition.

"The Mandarin Symbols," Nash breathed.

"I'd figured since I rarely show it, might as well," Nan shrugged. It made sense since Nan always wear long-sleeved outfits.

"How come you don't show it?", I asked.

"Kert, I'd love to chat, but we got a kingdom to restore. But, it's my own story to tell another time", Nan helped Nash out the door, and I trailed behind with my ill-stained clothes.

It was Soto. The Familiar dungeon walls that hold the cells. I got questions to ask, but Mother invades my mind more. My water ability somehow wasn't affected. Vengeance doesn't sound so bad.

The cells were empty, so it wouldn't hurt to ask Nan something.

"How did you get us exactly?", I checked around for cameras, but none were in sight. Or maybe Nan took them down. Who knows.

Nan explained how it was suspicious the prison in Poltlemus was lenient. And how it was easy to do that raid. So she split the group further so if we got caught, the rest can still lead the rebellion. And just like Nan's predictions, Mother caught us and it left Soto unattended. With that, the rebellion marked it way there.

"But Mother is here now, right?". Nan nodded and irritation boiled. Of course, Mother would be here.

"Our illusionists disguised us as servants. I'm shocked that your mother doesn't keep up with the employers here. The others are at the base of the commons", Nan assured. I couldn't contain myself. Mother couldn't even see them, nor care about the country. At least attempt to do something, but only when things escalate. No more will I let her sip her wine and let this country fall deeper. I dashed the underground walls, searching for the stairs to lead me to the throne room.

"Kert, the hell?". But I didn't stop. Nobody can stop me now. Mika ringed my memories, but it only fueled me more.

I saw the ascending stairs, and my foot barely touched them as I went up. The hallways took me where I needed to go. Many servants stood shocked and still, but they didn't chase after me. Instead, they avoided me like I was the plague. The throne room approached, and just like where she was, Mother sat on her little throne chair, drinking her wine. Smiling.