Chapter 1

Kert

They've attacked the city square again. Mother warned me of the rebellion, that even us with abilities can't stop them. I can conjure water. As for my mother, quite the opposite, which is fire. Mother attempted to fear the public of her flames and her noblemen's abilities as well. However, they all grew in numbers, demanding of their justice.

"Those ungoverned people need to be in their places," she hissed, burning the newspaper with a flick. The paper sparked and burned away to her touch. Just like my temper, I tend to lash out quickly like Mother, but I go out alone to quiet the loud thoughts. The rebellion, the decline of the economy, Mother is just as stressed as me. If only Natasha were here, she would know.

 "Mother, you keep saying that, but you never execute your words," I reminded. She sighed deeply, just like the years shown on her skin.

"Dear, what do you want me to do? This kingdom is at its worst, and I'm simply talking to cope!", She spat loudly. My eyes narrowed.

"My duties are affected just like yours is! Just because you're queen, don't mean you can throw a tantrum and whine like a little child", I harshly reminded. Mother reeked of fire around her body, turning up the temperature on the throne room. 

"Watch who you're talking to, or I'll surely put you in place," she bellowed. I pretended to tremble, to be defined by her judgment. She nodded with approval and relished on to some of the pastries the corridors have to offer. Mother gave up Soto, the only kingdom I have left in my name. She used to care, used to be able to keep the people in order. Now it's out of her grasp. So what can she do? Frankly, she lost control and sits back to watch this rebellion tearing the kingdom apart. I have to bring Soto again, and it would not tear down on my watch. As the live TV showed the city square in fumes, protests, and rallies, the noblemen trying to reassure the public, it's all chaos presenting right here. Tears were streaming my eyes, as I kept watching the disaster. I need to be alone. Not here, but nature. One of my old teachers who taught me how to read introduced me to life. It was Tristian I believed. He no longer served Natasha and me, but it was one thing I would never forget.

"Listen here Kert, and listen well. This temper you got from your mother, ain't going to sustain Soto. Now here", Tristian advised, the courtyard revealed a pathway. 

Thick, long branches entwined, covering the pale blue sky.

"Tristy! How would this help me?", My young voice wailed in a complaint. He smiled, pushing his brown hair into a messy state.

"Just like the Queen... here, bend your powers and cycle them in a slow-repeating pattern". Tristian also bends waters, but his ability can also change the weather. The woods swayed in silence, Tristian rumbled all the water he can find. Of course, summoning rain was possible. But manipulating it was comfortable. As the water turned and shaped, the element beneath my fingers tingled. Now I realized, water is flushing out of my hands. I smiled, knowing I can create a stream on my own.

Tristian's voice echoed the caverns of my mind. I breathed the autumn air, putting my heart at ease. The temper of mines grew more sustainable over the years, but now, Mother pushed me to the top. The woods, colored in assorted colors due to the late autumn.

"Your Majesty, we have terrible news," a panicky voice, irritating me. I turned to see Avery, his face much paler than the Holy Ghost.

"What Avery, what? I'm not in the mood to be bothered--".

"Your Highness, the people are attacking the palace," he squealed, dropped hard to the ground.