Chapter 10

Kert

The water summoned and I shot them, throwing them back against the wall.

"Run!," I yelled. With the truck still in place, some ran down to other corners, out of sight. A sharp-seething pain buckled me back, and blood spluttered around me. I looked to see the officer had shot me, by my shoulder. This moment is it. My powers won't save me now. The officer, held by the water's current, aimed at me again. Come on, I reached my hand and attempted to throw his gun away, but then, someone yanked me back. Black-sleek hair and olive skin in the corner of my vision.

I was about to warn him. Don't waste yourself on me. But all I got was a scream in a cry. A boom echoed, and there were the bodies, on the floor. Avery panted hardily. With the pistol blowing off steam, I realized he saved my life. The officer was about to kill me.

"No time! Inside." Natasha opened the back door of the building. Avery with widening eyes and his mouth slightly opened, he guided and held me as we went in.

The place was dark, and soon, a flash of light illuminated the descending stairs. My shoulder still oozed with blood and pain as we went down. Several people around me supported my body to the corner. Books and shelves everywhere. Was this a library?

"I'm sorry Kert," Avery tore his clothed jacket and wrapped it firmly around my shoulder. I seethed in the sting and frantically looked around. If only I had abilities like Mika, we wouldn't be in this mess. Where is she?

"Where's Mika?", I cried. Was she alone? Did she flee? Or worse, killed?

"She'll be fine. Right now, your shoulder needs to heal", Avery solemnly replied. What is with him? He usually worries, a lot. Natasha was pushing shelves around and trying to create space. Along with some wielders left, however, we were way smaller than what we initially were.

"Dude, you're alright? You know you saved my life", I assured him. However, he shook his head.

"I... I killed them. They didn't do anything wrong", he crocked. I don't get it. Isn't he a doctor? He saw people die all the time, according to Mother.

"But you're the doctor?! You're used to seeing death", I thrilled. He sighed and sat next to me.

"No... I mean-- I do see patients with their last breaths. But now, I took it away", he held his face in his hands. I patted him in comfort and scooched closer, the stinging holding me on.

"Avery. You don't even see the strengths you gave. You saved my life. It made me regret what I did". We both chuckled as Natasha ordered some to get supplies and to hide the bodies.

"Baby brother, consider yourself lucky. That one more bullet...", she couldn't complete the sentence. I don't think she could imagine me dead.

"Natasha, would they get the antibiotics? His arm might get infected", he explained. She nodded.

"I think they'll figure it out. Until then, we must stay here until you're capable of moving your arm", Natasha added.

"Nash, I don't think--."

"They'll be fine. Mika will be fine, and your wound needs to heal first", she exclaimed. I clam shut, knowing not to challenge her. Until then, she was exploring different doors around the small library.

"So, how long will my arm be this way?", I asked. He pondered and got up.

"Well, I'm not guaranteeing anything. You may lose your arm if it gets infected. Or worse, death", he pointed out. I shivered at the end of the sentence. Death? So even when Avery saved my life, I might die. My chest thumped faster, and my breathing quickened.