Chapter 11

Kert

People were stocking food into the truck as Natasha hurried us in.

"Damn it, damn it. I don't want you out here like this", Natasha sat next to me, as the truck ran into the ignition, driving out the alleyway.

"I'm fine Nash. Quit pampering me", I spat.

"Watch your attitude Kert. I'm still older than you. So I know what I'm doing", she hissed. With my irritation boiling, I slumped beside the wall of the truck. The street ran until we bound to the dense highway.

Sirens blared, and Natasha looked tensed, stiff in place. For the first time, her calm posture gone. Everybody bought a tense atmosphere as well. The vehicles moved to other lanes for the police car to leech closer.

"Oh no... I-I can't, oh my god", Avery stammered, sweat breaking quickly to his face. I was about to reassure him, but the sirens blasted much more loudly.

"Pull over," the officer boomed. Natasha frantically commanded the illusionist to hid us, and with that, we winked invisibly.

The driver came closer to us, ordering us to pull to the exit and with no other choice, we went out of the highway to a desolated street.

"Identification, sir?", The officer stared sternly. Our driver, Travis, searched rapidly into the truck. Did he think this through? I didn't dare to breathe, knowing our invisibility would wear out.

"I'm sorry, it seems I left it... at home. Yeah, home", Travis smiled brightly, but the officer is currently not buying it.

"Sir, there's an investigation that two murders happen out of the area. Do you know any information that might help us?". Travis took a little longer to respond, the air becoming hard to breathe.

"I-I don't sir. Y-You must have the wrong guy!", he blurted, still smiling.

Damn it, Travis. I don't know how much longer we can stay invisible or if Mika is still alive out there.

"Sir? Your truck has recently been in the area where the murder happened. We simply want to know more information to catch the guy", the officer leaned forward to the window as if he's searching for an answer inside the truck.

"He can't keep us invisible much more," Natasha whispered hastily into my ear. I tensed more, my muscles constricting and my breath shortened. Its unknown what Travis will do, but it had to be quick.

"You know officer, I would love to tell you, but I don't know, and I have this-- well-- drop-off," he cranked up the engine. Travis seemed to get the memo because by then, we saw ourselves again and the illusionist was panting like he ran a marathon.

"I owe you dude," Travis drives us back on the highway.

"Yeah, no shit," the illusionist spat.

"D-Do you think we lost them?", Avery spoke lowly as if he'll get in trouble. Travis laughed heartily.

"Of course, doctor. Your prescriptions should make me worry--", he was cut short by the blare of the sirens.

Travis cursed into the engine. Natasha sighed, massaging her temple.

"We talked about this," she grumbled. Travis slumped and pout as the highway round the bend, the sun casting down.

"I'm sorry," he admitted.

"Sorry don't do anything. We must move now", Natasha sternly said.

"Pull over now!", The voice was much more commanding and harsh. Mountains gave way, and Natasha smiled.

"Poltlemus... Travis gets off the highway. I have an idea", Natasha smirked widely.

"But, there are cars ahead of us. I can't--".

"Do it now!", She commanded. And with that, he turned the truck and ran off the rails of the highway. We are plummeting hundreds of feet down.

Then, the water stopped us short. Everywhere, the woods is in a chaotic flood. The truck was rapidly tearing apart through the water's current, and many of the others were scurrying around, trying to swim.

I looked to see Natasha, her veins popping through her skin and her hands coming out of our ability. The woods was a swimming pool. The truck is in pieces around us.

"Sis. You'll pass out", I yelped as I helped control the water. Slowly, the water was gone, and everybody was on the floor, soaked and shivering. The power, it felt replenishing. But Natasha was laying on the floor, twitching and panting unevenly.

"Nash!", I darted to her, sitting near. After a little while, her breathing was healthy, and she stood up but wobbled to the side.

"Wow... I never pushed myself like that", she added. I grimaced.

"Don't push yourself like that. I appreciated you saving us, but we need you too", Avery warned. She pushed him away.

"It's for the rebellion. We got to keep moving", Natasha argued as she kept walking, limply.

"Avery's right. You need to rest", I added.

"No, you need to rest that shoulder of yours," she spat back. I sighed and looked towards the group for help. Natasha would push herself until she drops dead.

"Natasha, listen to your brother, he's right," a similar sound calmed my heart and nerves. Mika, along with her group, emerges out of the trees.

"M-Mika. How long were you out here?", Natasha gaped in awe.

"A while until I heard sirens and a big truck plummeting. Let me guess, Travis' lousy driving?", Mika chuckled. Travis stiffened but laughed it off. Mika turned to me, smiling.

"I-I thought you were in danger," I blurted out the first thing. Her giggles fueled my euphoria much more.

"Well, the journey wasn't easy, but I'll tell you more about it once our lovely leader rest," Mika came closer to Natasha. However, my sister shook her head, leaning on the tree for support.

"No Mika. I'm the leader, and I know what's best. The longer we wait, the danger increases", she pointed out. My vessels boiled.

"Says the one who wanted to coop me up for a bad arm," I sneered. Natasha threw a water ball at me.

"It's different, Kert. You're a baby, and you don't know--".

"For God's sake Nash, let people help you. You're stubborn. A hypocrite", I shot back.

"Me, a hypocrite? What about your temper? You almost killed those people in the submarines weeks ago", she reminded.

"At least I admit my mistakes while you want everyone to follow what you need to say."

"Guys let's calm down," Mika assured, but I shook my head.

"We are behind now because you decide to shelter all of us inside. How can you call yourself a leader if a worse circumstance like a police investigation get us moving?". Natasha was holding something back, but her face was still neutral.

"Kert... I don't have the patience for you. You're irritating me, and it's best if we talk about this tomorrow", Natasha dismissed me by walking away with the tree to support her. However, she's not going to leave me hanging.

"Irritating you? I PUT UP WITH MOTHER'S BULLSHIT FOR YEARS. You ran away when things got too hard for you, so why don't you shut up? Or you will run away like the last time?", I rebuked. Natasha almost fell, but her body looked unusually stiff. Her tightened fists to her sides.

"Mika... Get him away from me or I might snap", her voice was low, but it sent shivers up my spine. Maybe things went too far.

"I'm sorry Nash--."

"GO AWAY," her thrash caused thunder to echo the night sky. I skid steps back, my chest heaving. Mika shook her head, and I surrendered. Every part of my body is alert and alive.

I didn't understand why she got that way with me in the first place. She was being a hypocrite and was contradicting herself. As my body was calming down, the group was preparing for the night.