Chapter 9

Kert

With the base being torn down and replaced it by trucks, Natasha broke the people into ten groups.

"Marcus, I'm counting on you to lead this group through Cronos to get to Poltlemus. Can you do that?", She questioned hastily. He nodded firmly, his dreadlocks bouncing. With a wave, he helped his group's ease through comedy jokes. Mostly the kids.

Other leaders Natasha assigned was mature enough. Although, Nikki and Marcus stood out the most. With Marcus' comical personality and Nikki's charm.

Nikki reassured her group that they have an essential place and giving them self-esteem. It reminded me of Nash a bit. Mostly, the groups are traveling through Cronos or Arina, the lesser dangerous kingdoms. Our group is the only one that is going through Erie. I kept trembling in fear that our lives are to put in the frontiers. But with Natasha, Mika and Avery by my side, my hope brightens.

The trucks, created, and the thousands dispersed into different roads, fading out of sight. The groups hold hundreds according to Natasha's plan. Now with our group driving down the hills, trees among trees slowly turned into plains. It has been nothing but plateaus for hours. Were we from the outskirts of Erie?

"Natasha, where are we going? Surely the outskirts will keep us safe?".

"We have to keep moving. Who knows what Mother will do? And we were on the outskirts, but since we only have one route to follow, we have to go to the city. Miles from here", she replied. The city? She's kidding, right?

"Natasha, the city?! We are going to get ourselves killed!", I hissed.

"Erie don't have many open territories. The city is the only way we can get to Poltlemus". I knew it. The mission was way too dangerous, and Nash is throwing her life away. However, I couldn't lash at her or do something reckless again. I chose to be here, and I can't just return to Soto. Mother's look is already too much to bear.

"You're right... I can't go back to see Mother's downcast eyes", I almost choked. My sister smiled warmly at me, pulling me into her embrace.

"Baby brother... you're not the only one feeling guilty. I love her too, but these people are human beings", she pointed to them. Mika, Avery and the most of them were slumbering. A few waved at me in greeting, putting ease in me.

"They all expect me to lead them. Guide the group. The peasants have been in the shadows for way too long. And so have I. So this meeting in Poltlemus is essential to help fight our injustice". Natasha held me on still, helping me calm my nerves and my thoughts.

"Nash, have you always been this way?", I asked. Her head perked up.

"What do you mean?", her gaze confused.

"Well... have you always cared about the people so much?". Natasha looked blankly at the window and sighed deeply.

"No, in fact, I used to look up to Mother. How she took control of things. But then I learned the harsh truth. She used children as tools and human beings from the lower class as pawns for conquering", her voice broke. Her tears were on the verge of flooding. I still question why. I knew why Natasha ran away from home, but it always put pain into my chest.

Five years ago

A loud, slamming noise echoed the corridors and bolted me awake. Was somebody breaking inside? My vessels flared and my heart quickened. I leaped out of bed and managed to summon water I've recently learned from Tristian. I slowly went down the grand stairs, and a shadow quickly went to the other direction. The only place it could lead was to the courtyard. I've mustered the courage I can find and dashed to the shadow. Maybe it was a peasant or something meek. The yard presented itself and figure was about to head for the woods.
"H-Hey you! I...I see you", I trembled, but I gave out everything I had. The figure turned, and my heart dropped low to my stomach. Natasha with her powers summoned and ready. Her eyes widen in surprise, and the bags around here are full.
"W-What...How did you find me?", She hastened. Pain untwined in my heart, confusion, and shock. Why would she want to leave? Doesn't she love me anymore?
"Why...Do you want to leave? I...", my voice cracked, and tears escaped my eyes. She sighed and cursed to herself.
"Kert, it's not you...It's Mother. I found something that is...terrible. So I have to go", she picked up her things and fled before I said anything. Tears streamed my eyes as she gets smaller within the distance.
Natasha wiped the tears. I've never realized I've been crying while thinking of what happened.
"I know... I did regret leaving you behind. But now, you're here and hats all that matters", her hand soothes my back, and within these tears, I smiled to myself.
"Nash... please don't leave me... please", I trailed, and she hugged me tighter.
"Baby brother, I promise on my grave, I'll never leave you... I love you", she kissed my forehead.
"I-I love you too," I sobbed and stayed in her embrace for a long while.

—-
"The city is here," the driver pointed out. I looked through the window; the steel brightens against the sky. Skyscrapers to lowly, yet grand buildings perked. My heart tightens, knowing our inevitable doom. However, the illusionists got to work, making me, Natasha, and the wielders invisible. The regulars were still visible, and they looked ordinary. Hopefully, we don't get caught.
As we drive to the hearts of the city, cars among cars filled the lanes, disguising us easier. With me invisible, I saw the streets. People with slumped looks but yet have stunning outfits. From glamour dresses to tailored suits, they roamed. One thing about being rich was that you were never happy. It was easy, or too easy? Nobody seems to look twice at our vehicle. The streets got empty. We turned to the end of the alleyway.
We were visible again, and we got out of the truck. As we were about to plan what's next, a yelp of dismay stopped my heart cold. I turned to see officers, with their weapons at ready.