Chapter 7

Kert

While people were spending time either guarding the base, getting chores around here, or something more important, I've watched Mika spend time with the kids. They've brought kids. To save them from being drafted into the war or manual labor by aristocrats. From what I heard, manual work is at least a better alternative than being recruited to help Soto fight the neighboring kingdoms, just for power. Many lost their lives.

However, Mika brought her kindest, soothing voice I've ever heard. Reassuring them, giving them extra food even, just to see their smiles. Avery sat by me, and I flinched at his incognito appearance.

"M-My bad... Is it okay I sit here?". We were in a dining cafeteria, tables around and the kitchen behind the pillars.

"Yeah, sure," still looking at Mika, helping the cookers around, assorting food for the people.

"May I ask you something?", Avery asked, holding back.

"Avery, no need to be scared of me. I lost my temper back there, but I'm a good guy", I chuckled. He sighed.

"You like her?".

"Who? I don't like anybody", I replied, but my eyes traced back to her blue hair. Avery laughed.

"It's all fine. It's not obvious you watched Mika the past day or so", he laughed, and I smiled.

"Why, do you like her too, Avery? You and she seem attached", I questioned in amusement. He shook his head real fast.

"No, we're excellent friends. That's all I see her as". Makes sense, but it has to be more to her than her empathy.

I don't want to admit it, but your position isn't as bad as mines.

"Avery? How is she like? Since you know her better than I do", he pondered and shrugged.

"To be honest, she doesn't tell me much about her past, except, it shaped her to be empathic and kind. Just like me but stronger", Avery turned depressed, looking at his coffee.

"You're already strong, right?", trying to make him feel better.

"I'm not! She can lead and support others without being scared all the time", he spat but sighed. I gave him a sympathetic smile.

"Me too. I wish I were as patient as Mika, but you have the similar traits as her".

"I guess that what makes us, us. We wish to be somebody else but don't appreciate your traits", Avery tears streamed down his cheeks, but was smiling.

"So I'll catch you later, okay?", Avery stood up and left to go to his room. I gazed to find Mika staring at me, but she was grinning. I blushed and continued eating.

---

Natasha is either good at not acknowledging my existence or took a pill to forget everything. Two days ago since my talk with Avery, we had to be on the move.

"Listen up everyone," Natasha's voice-powered the cafeteria walls. Everyone filled the space, leaving no extra. Thousands and sweat trickled down my body. It was humid and uncomfortable, but everyone's attention was up to her.

"It pains me to say, but we must split up to get to our destination." The crowd gasped, horror looks on their faces.

"Calm down; I know families are involved so that I won't split them up. However, we have to do this for it to be less chaotic and unorganized". The crowd fell silent in a rush, but it didn't please them at all. I migrated my eyes around, searching for Mika or Avery. It's too dense to spot them.

"So tonight, we'll leave. The base will be torn down, so get everything you can", Natasha advised. With a dismissal exit, the crowd dispersed. Displeased murmurs and whispers echoed the halls. It was still early in the morning, but there's much to do. For once, it pained me not to be able to watch Mika today. Will I be separated from her? What about Avery? Natasha roamed the same hall, glaring at me.

"Kert, may I speak with you?". It caught me off guard; I tripped to the side of the wall. She smiled. I chuckled as she led me to an unoccupied bedroom. She closed the door and sighed tiredly.

"You know I'm very disappointed with you. I'm still furious with what you did, but I know its wrong of me to ignore you", Natasha held her face.

"No, it's my fault. I'm stupid, and I was reckless. I-I'm sorry", I choked up, emotions clouded my eyes. She shushed me, but its gentle. Comforting. It reminded of what I missed from Mother. Compassion and empathy.

"Baby brother, you're not stupid. You're not a bad person, and I'm sorry as well", she reassured. I gazed up at her, my eyebrows raised.

"S-Sorry? W-Why? I did something wrong here. You don't need to apologize", I stammered. She shook her head.

"I ignored you purposely. And it was crappy I did that. I didn't want to snap and with this rebellion--". I hugged Natasha, tightly and hard.

"I understand. We're both sorry, and we let emotions got out of hand", I added. I felt something wet on my shoulder. I closed my eyes, and we're stuck in that position for awhile. For the past two days, I only now realized how much I missed Natasha. The inside jokes, to our binding. I love her. Which, reminded me of something else.

"Is Mika and Avery coming along to our group?", I peered on. Natasha gave me a smirk and a playful wink. I pushed her off the bed.

"I knew it! You like her!", She amused. I blushed and hid my face. She came closer and hugged me.

"It's excellent. If you like the girl, I'll drag her along. I might see something", her elbow bumped mines. I flushed, and my face was in flames. Of course, she observed me. Of course, she knew. One of the more reasons she knows me well.

"So if Mika and possibly Avery coming along, who will lead the other groups?", I asked. She did her whole adult-kid is confused, but adult understands grin.

"With ways brother, ways," she sneered amusingly. I laughed heartily, and with that, we got to other people and helped with the base.