Chapter 22

Kert

Of course, Nan still helped us with our raid tonight. With this though, she urged us to go in small groups. I couldn't complain. Nan tried to look out for us.

It was late at night and headed to the familiar terrains. Natasha and Tristian won't suffer anymore as long as I'm alive.

The group consisted of ten people, including Robert, Mika, and I. Since Robert trained most of his abilities from the inspection, it's coming along smoothly. But we still need to be disguised with fake identities this time.

The prison held a back entry for a quick get in for guards in case of emergencies. Of course, it was protected, but we hid underneath the ferns and bushes. Robert, Mika, a metal welder, and I.

A window lurked nearby, and it was coated with metal bars. An idea formed.

"What if she can tear the metal bar off and use it as a weapon?", I whispered gently, pointing to the metal welder. She perked up and looked anxious.

"It might make a sound," she squeaked. But Robert shook his head.

"No risks, no nothing," Robert assured assertively. The girl's eyebrows furrowed in concentration as the bar was squeaking and complaining. With all her energy, it snapped, and the crack echoed. The bar was firm in Robert's hands.

"Hey!", The guards were scurrying around, with anxiety. Robert jumped to action, and boom, there goes one guard. The second one tried to shoot but he then too joined his friend. Robert winked back to himself, and he was barely scratched up.

"Put those uniforms on. It's only enough for Kert and me", Robert said as he hid the unconscious bodies besides the ferns. Mika was disappointed, and the girl was still squirming.

I changed quickly and left my old clothes behind the wood trunk. It was tight and hard to move around, but it'll do.  The strap held a gun and a pocket knife.

"Please make it back safely," Mika said. I smiled and kissed her quickly. Maybe it'll be the last time I'll do it.

That's too absurd. We'll be okay, we wouldn't make it this far if we didn't.

I nodded and Mika, along with the girl, hurried out of sight. Robert whistled me in.

"Come on." With our fake identities, we headed inside.

--

The security panels layered with codes, buttons, and other foreign controls.

Security cameras showed many wings and areas of the prison. But mainly, the one camera that was outside was blacked out.

The room was empty and hollow, and another doorway will probably lead to more hallways.

I remembered Natasha's cell read, "B5". Along with Tristian's, "B1". Why was it so easy?

I looked at the blue screen that shows the files and orders for all inmates. A keyboard lined up with letters and numbers, and my first instinct was to type B5 and B2. Coincidentally, their profile and orders came up.

Robert was staring in awe, but we know we had to be quick. I pressed anything that might have something to do with opening her cell. That's when I heard a beep echoing.

We ran and ran to every corridor that led us closer to the B-Sector. The inmate area showed two cells opened on either side of the longing walls. I sprinted to Tristian's cage, and there lies him, bony-weak and close to dropping dead.

"Hey old buddy," I smiled, helping him out of his cell. He couldn't walk and was questioning everything, but he let me help him. Robert did the same with Natasha, but he was carrying her, and he looked tired. She was unconscious.

--

I decided to hold Natasha, while Robert helped Tristian walk. Natasha stirred around, thank god.

Mika was alone, and the car was gone. And yet she wanted us to come near. She didn't look like she was sane or happy. Morely forced and creepy.

"You're not Mika," I yelled, trying to sound confident, but my guts turned raw.

"My loyal son, you're so right," she was transformed, and that's when I almost dropped Natasha. Mother smiled, as silver as the moon glinting on her. How did she know? It was too easy, to begin with anyway. I cursed to myself as Mother showed her army surrounding us.