Chapter Twenty-Three: Unveiling

Start from the beginning

"It is very beautiful, Mama."

"You deserve it dear. You are one lovely bride, oh, I cannot wait to see you walk down the aisle."

Lydia caught Em staring at her, she could she admiration on her eyes, "Will you raise the veil for me, Emelia?"

"Yes my lady."

Em held the end of the veil so Lydia can see how she would look like when Damian takes it off. He'll be seeing this when he kisses me, her mind said.

She raised her chin and smiled. After she found the desired angle she let Em take it off.

"I'll trust the care of my gown to you, Emelia. Keep it safe until the wedding, alright?"

"It's my pleasure, my lady."

"Very well, do change now Lydia. I have to take you and meet Aurelia, she is to practice with you your walk down the aisle." Lucille said, undoing her stays.

"Yes, Mama."

Once free of her wedding dress, Lydia carefully put on her gown back. The ladies made sure everything was in place.

"I shall see you at tea." Lucille said to Em.

She curtsied and both ladies left the room. She was left with tidying the clothes. Not that she hated it, but she couldn't keep her eyes off the veil. What would it feel like on her head? She wondered.

Em pressed her ears against the door and listened. Once certain no one was around, she lifted the veil and went to the mirror. What she saw made her gasp.

Her amber eyes glowed against the white fabric, the cloth felt comfortably heavy against her raven hair. The pearls looked like water droplets on her curls. Em parted it to reveal her face just like what Lydia did awhile ago. The veil fell on her shoulders so her face was bared, why did Lady Warrick wanted to see her face like this? Wasn't the veil supposed to cover her? But then the length was meant to be long on her back, not in front. As far as she can remember the veil will only be lifted once the priest declares them man and wife. So that means—

Then it dawned on her. Lydia was picturing how she would look like when Damian kisses her.

Em dropped the veil back on her face. So that's why. Of course she would like to prepare for the big day, she would only be a bride once. A Lady like Lydia would like things to be perfect.

She could already see them together at the gazebo, Lydia gazing up to Damian as his hand lifted the veil. She would raise her face to meet his lips and he would kiss her.

Em closed her eyes and brushed the thoughts away. She could still taste those lips on hers. Tears fell hotly against her face. She had to accept he was not for her.

He was to be the next Duke.

She was a servant.

Why did it bother her still?

She wanted to fall down and cry. No matter how she tried to tell herself to let him go, her heart still refused to do so. She loved him, she did. But it was wrong. Fate would not allow it. Everyday was a reminder of her foolishness.

Em was suddenly gathered into a solid chest. A pair of muscled arms embraced her, a gentle voice whispered on her ear, "Hush. It will be alright...let it out."

She buried her face on his shirt, there was no mistaking Dathan's voice. He let her cry and she let him hold her. The veil fell on the floor and she did not care. Her heart was being crushed against her chest and there was no one else to help her.

No one.

But he was here.

Just as she was there for him last night.

Dathan rubbed her back and it eventually calmed her down. She kept her face on his shirt because the tears haven't stopped yet. Her hand clutched his lapels, wrinkling the material. But he did not care.

"Dathan.."

"Yes, Em?"

"Thank you."

He kissed her forehead. She couldn't help but smile. How can he make her better right away? Already her breathing has calmed and her shoulders stopped shaking. Dathan's touch kept her warm, safe and secure. Em lifted her face and saw him staring down at her. He was handsome. Not because he looked like Damian. But because he was just him. His jaw had fresh bristles growing and he appeared older, she raised her hand and touched his face. Dathan closed his eyes and rubbed his cheek on her palm, like how a cat would. She did what she wanted to do ever since he came back, she kissed him.