Chapter Twenty-Two: Men talk

Start from the beginning

"Is that so? And what may this be about?" Damian rose and poured himself a second cup, "Are you considering Father's request?"

Dathan scowled, "It was not a request, Damian. He ordered me to haunt an heiress who's family did not have a male heir so I could secure myself a title. He thinks I cannot provide for myself."

"But you are of proper age to marry. Not that I doubt your ability to provide for you own but I agree that he used improper words to express himself. Mayhap Father only wanted you settled before he passes away."

"What are you saying? That Father is suffering from some illness and will soon be leaving us?"

"Of course not idiot! But you know how old he is. He worries for your future, that's all."

Dathan sighed, he had this conversation last night and he couldn't stand it. He walked out of the study and hid himself in his chambers. It would've been another evening for drinking but it turned out quiet differently. He had a special guest in his chambers—right into his bed. Remembering Em's lips stirred his ardor.

"That is not what I came here for, Damian. But I shall keep in mind what you said."

The elder brother shrugged and sat back on his bed, "Then start talking. The longer we stay here the more I am tempted to finish the wine myself."

"That will be bad, eh? What will your fiancee say if she finds you drunk in the middle of the day?"

"Don't change the subject," Damian pierced him with a warning look, "we are to talk about you. Now pray tell, what is this about?"

"Very well. I have a question for you and I want you to answer it honestly."

His brother raised his glass, indicating he can continue. He sighed and averted his eyes, "Can a servant marry a lord?"

Damian furrowed his brows, "There is no law prohibiting about that, Dathan. Though society dictates that servants are servants and we are above them. It is done but often scorned upon."

"But it can done?"

"I've heard of people who married their governesses and their sister's hand maidens. It caused a great scandal of course and often the servants couldn't stand it and would eventually just annul the marriage."

"Governesses are above the servants, I don't see why that would be scorned."

"The society is harsh. We cannot always please everyone, brother." Damian emptied his glass, "Who is this woman, Dathan?"

His brother flinched, "It's not for me. A friend had asked."

"Of course. A friend." His tone was very condescending.

"I had no inkling of getting married. As you know, I am not expected to present an heir like you. I can do what I wanted with my life."

"You are right, little brother. Being the second son gave you freedom without responsibilities to the Manor. But I will tell you this, you are a Duke's son and marrying someone beneath your station will mar our reputation. If I were you, I'd take the chit as a mistress."

Dathan flinched at his words. Him? Taking her as a mistress? That did not sit well on him. He could picture the woman more than that, she did not deserved to be a secret. If there was something she'd want, it was to have her own life. And he intend to just do that.

"Mayhap you are right, big brother." He leaned back and played with his glass. "I have to think about Mother and there's Jules, too. I can't risk having a scandal attached to our name, it'll be a disadvantage for her to marry a gentleman."

"Good of you to remember the women in this household," he raised his glass but found it empty, "if I did not know you brother, I'd say you are smitten."

"What are you talking about?"

Damian stood and grabbed the wine bottle, "Come on, there is no friend asking for these questions. You are acting like a boy out of schoolroom. Tell me who the chit is."

"She is not a chit!" Dathan snapped.

Damian shrugged and drank directly from the bottle, "If she is who you say she is, a servant, save yourself the trouble Dathan. Get her a cottage and be discreet about it. Buy her clothes, jewels, a monthly allowance and trinkets. But do not give her more than that. Marriage for people like us is not a jest."

"You make it sound so easy, Damian."

"I am a practical man. You need a mistress, not a wife. Believe me, that way is easier."

Dathan ignored his brother. He could not understand him at all. He was supposed to be the sensible one yet he treated his case a business preposition. Hell, if he needed a mistress he can grab anyone if he wanted. But ever since he arrived here, he only wanted her. And she did not belong to a cottage. She ought to be in a palace.

Now, what can he do for Emelia?