2.8

It was the night of the Halloween feast and the students were on the edges of their seats to find out who would be competing in the tournament. At each table, there were a few students that ate their food quicker than usual in hopes that it would make the time go by faster. Estella on the other hand, picked at her food while her head rested on her left hand.

"Estella if you don't stop, I'm going to start eating your food for you," Padma stated, breaking Estella out of her trance.

"That's a death wish Padma, and you know it," Estella replied.

"What's wrong?" Luna asked, looking up from her book.

"Nothing's wrong. I just want to get this night over with," Estella answered.

"I believe worrying is terrible for the soul," Luna said.

With a sigh, Estella put down her fork then said, "I can't be the only one who is concerned for Cedric."

"Estella, no one knows for sure that he will be picked. That's the literal reason why we're here. If he doesn't get picked, that's fine. If he does get picked, that's fine too. Do you know why? It's because Cedric can take care of himself. He's a strong and smart boy-" Padma rambled.

"-Am I now?" Cedric interrupted while sitting down at the table.

"Yes Cedric, you are. Would you mind getting Estella to believe that too?" said Padma.

"I don't know, it doesn't seem like it's enough. Please tell more about me?" Cedric teased.

"You know what,  I hope you get picked to compete so that an evil creature of some kind will take you down," Padma replied sarcastically.

"Hey now," Cedric laughed as he lightly shoved the girl's arm.

"You know, what you put out into the universe will eventually come back to you," Luna added.

"Great," Estella mumbled.

"Hey, I'll fight the universe if I have to. Just for you Estella," Cedric said with a warm smile.

Time had passed and the announcement of the champions had begun. Estella's nerves never calmed down and she did not notice that she had been bouncing her leg until Luna kindly asked her to stop. 

"The champion for Durmstrang will be Victor Krum," Professor Dumbledore announced. 

Estella had not even realized that he started pulling names out of the cup. Her nerves shot through the roof as she clapped along with the rest of the students. Her eyes scanned the room for the Durmstrang boy only to meet Draco's eyes. Her heart stopped and everything seemed to slow down for a quick moment. She felt comfort from the gaze but she could not hold it for long.

"The champion for Beauxbatons is Fleur Delacour," continued Dumbledore.

The Hogwarts champion was next. Estella repeatedly reminded herself that there were plenty of other students that put their name in the cup. Cedric had a slim chance. It would be okay. Someone else's name would be picked and they would all laugh about it later.

"The Hogwarts champion is," 

It would be okay. Nothing will change.

"Cedric Diggory!"

Cheers and applause broke out while Estella and Cedric locked eyes. Cedric gave her a shocked and sympathetic look. The eye contact broke when some boys started patting Cedric on the back out of support. Cedric's shocked expression quickly turned into a big smile as he got up to go be with the other champions. Estella sat there still as a rock. She felt all of her insides drop and all she wanted to do was rip the written name into shreds. Padma and Luna tried saying something to her but she tuned them out. She was not upset or angry, she just felt defeated. There was no turning back and the only thing that was left to do was hope that the universe would be kind. 

"Harry Potter," Dumbledore said.

Estella snapped back to reality to find that the entire hall was silent and looking at the boy who lived. She watched in confusion as he made his way to the room that held the champions.

"What happened?" Estella whispered.

"Didn't you just see? The goblet spit out Harry's name," Padma explained with a frown.

"That's not possible," Estella stated.

"From the looks of it, it is," said Padma.

Luna then whispered,"the universe certainly works in mysterious ways."

A/N:

quote credit: I feel like it's a pretty common saying. If you know the true source, let me know!

Hi guys! Sorry I haven't been updating as much as I promised. I also know this isn't much of anything. All is well and I have the motivation to write write write. If I don't update tomorrow, I will update within the next few days. We're finally about to get to the good stuff! Thank you for the constant support and paitence!

I hope you enjoyed and continue reading :)