3.9

Draco Malfoy did not lie to Estella Raney when he told her that he was unsure about the work his father and her father did. He barely understood what his father did now. He knew that their wealth came from generational blessings, to say the least. So, labor was not necessarily anything the family had to take part in. He also knew that his father was powerful and had ties with those in charge. How or why is what he did not fully know. As a kid, he watched his father closely. It was inspiring to see a man get what he wanted in the way that his father did. It was interesting to him to see the effect his father had on other people. As a result, he respected his father and looked up to him like no other. He wanted nothing more than to make him proud and to one day be like him. That is, of course, until he met Estella Raney.

From the moment he met her as children, he started to question his actions. He followed the actions and mimics of his father, but following suit with this persona around Estella felt wrong. It did not take long for him to realize that it was wrong. However, shaking it off and putting an end to it was easier said than done. Sure, it is easy to change your morals and opinions quite quickly. On the other hand, Draco would slip up and let out a snarky comment here and there. To top it all, he still had his family's influence breathing heavily down his back.

Deep down was a voice trying to tell him to make choices for himself, but the voice was not loud enough for the time. He did not understand that concept. No one else had taught him about it yet. It was all very confusing and conflicting for him. At times he felt like he could no longer decipher right from wrong. One moment he would think that he was doing the right thing, becoming a better person. Then his father would make sure it was known that he was rather doing the wrong thing. At least according to him.

This internal battle was starting to become exhausting for Draco. From that exhaustion came a sense of loneliness. Many times he thought about talking about it with Estella, but he was afraid that she would be disappointed in him. It's not supposed to be this hard to change, he believed she would say. Because it isn't, right?

With no one to turn to and no one to relate to, Draco fought the battle on his own. After the ball and making Estella his girl, he thought that he was gaining control of the fight. Things were finally going smoothly and change was welcoming Draco with open arms.

However, those arms quickly shut when Draco witnessed his father on his knees clutching his forearm a few days before the third task. He watched as he rolled the sleeve up to reveal a skull on top of a snake. Immediately he tried to remember a time when he had seen the mark there before only to realize he had never seen his father without sleeves.

Draco did not have a good feeling about this. In a way, he felt a bit scared and certainly did not know what to do. Taking a step to the side, the floorboard creaked underneath him which caused his father to shoot his attention toward the platinum-haired boy.

He rolled his sleeve down instantly before saying, "Draco, come here."

The boy walked slowly into the room but kept a distance from his father.

"Don't be afraid."

"Father I-"

"Bad things are about to happen, Draco. But not to you, us. As long as you do what you're told."

"I don't understand."

"The times are changing. The fight our ancestors have been fighting will finally come to an end. And we will win. We'll be living in a perfect world where pure-blood wizards will rule."

"What's going to happen?"

"Nothing you have to worry about for the time being," Lucius assured. He noticed the fear in his son's eyes.

"None of that, Draco. Be a man and lose the fear. You're still young and your mother would have my head if I let you get involved. This is nothing of your concern for now. Just be aware. Be smart," Lucius added.

"Yes Father," was all Draco could say. It was all he could ever say.

Draco did not fully understand what his father was talking about. The sinking feeling he first felt when he saw him on the ground had sunken deeper to the point where he almost felt pain. This was not right. But he was not sure what this was. Should he tell someone? Who would he tell?

Draco felt himself beginning to panic on the inside. He left the room quickly and made it outside as if he was running out of oxygen. He looked up at the night sky as he tried to control his breathing. The Scorpius constellation shined brightly and all he began to think about was Estella.

Estella.

How was this going to effect Estella? Would she be okay? What would she think about this? Would she know what to do?

It was becoming too much once again. Draco felt hot tears running down his face. He did not know what to do or where to go. So, he wrapped his arms around himself and sat down on the ground while he let his emotions run their course.

The stars watched the poor boy cry but shined their way through to bring some sort of comfort in knowing that he was not alone.

A/N:

A bit dramatic?

I'd like to not think so but it could be!

Either way, I hope you enjoyed and continue reading :)