3.8

The sun was shining brightly behind a few clouds as a slight breeze danced through the trees. Estella, Padma, and Cedric had just walked out of the castle to head to their designated spot in the field that lay right before the forest. Once they reached the spot, they began setting up a picnic.

Today was Cedric's birthday and all he wanted to do as far as celebrations go was to have a special lunch with his best friends. The girls planned a picnic with all of his favorite foods and treats, most of which had to be snuck out of the great hall.

"Are you ready to be a Triwizard champion?" Padma asked as she unpacked the food while the others secured the blanket on the ground with rocks.

"I suppose, I'm more so ready to get it over with," Cedric answered.

"Why's that?" Estella asked.

"I'm kind of beginning to hate the attention," Cedric replied.

"You don't like all the girls throwing themselves on you?" Padma asked as the three began to eat.

"No actually, I got the girl I wanted. I would love more than anything for people to leave us alone and let us be happy together," Cedric answered.

"That's actually really sweet," said Estella.

"Aside from that, my dad has made this whole thing a big deal and I want to make him proud, but at the same time, I've realized that I don't necessarily want everyone to learn my name. At least not for this," Cedric continued.

"That's understandable, but on the bright side, you have the rest of your life to make a name for yourself. I don't believe some tournament is going to be your legacy," said Estella.

"Thank you, Estella," Cedric replied with a smile.

The three students ate what they had packed with laughter and happiness being shared over the next hour. When all was gone, the girls pulled out perfectly wrapped gifts to give the Hufflepuff.

"I told you two not to do this," Cedric said smiling as he accepted the gifts.

"That's what everyone always says," Padma pointed out with a playful roll of her eyes.

"Which one do I open first?" Cedric asked.

"Whichever one you want. However, I may or may not prefer if you open mine first because Estella's gift may or may not be better than mine and it's awkward watching someone open an amazing gift then a completely underwhelming one right after," Padma rambled.

"I'm telling you that mine isn't better than yours," Estella said to the other Ravenclaw.

While the two bickered, Cedric opened Padma's gift with a chuckle. Once opened, he lifted the gift from his lap to inspect it.

"It's a camera right?" Cedric asked.

"A disposable one. The muggles use it apparently," Padma explained.

"You throw it away after taking the pictures?" Cedric asked confused.

"No! Wait - yes! But only after you take the film out and process the pictures," Padma answered.

"I love it, Padma, thank you," Cedric beamed before leaning over to hug the girl.

"Yeah yeah, let's get to the main event already," Padma joked.

Cedric picked up Estella's gift from beside him and began to unwrap it. The three sat silently in anticipation. Upon revealing a black box, the boy opened it to find a gold watch sitting on a small pillow. The face of the watch was hidden with a matching gold plate protecting it. Engraved on the plate were the faces of Cedric and the two girls as if posing for a picture.

"Estella, this is amazing," Cedric smiled widely.

"I used the picture that was taken of us after that one quidditch match, the one from the newspaper, remember? Dean Thomas did the engraving to make it come to life," Estella explained.

Cedric opened popped the plate open to first reveal a compass then lifted it to reveal the ticking clock underneath it.

"So that you can always find your way home," Estella said smiling.

"And so you know what time it is," Padma added.

Estella gave the girl a look.

"What? It was getting too cheesy and sentimental, it was time to bring back reality," Padma defended herself.

"Thank you, Estella. I absolutely love both gifts," Cedric said while hugging Estella.

"Of course, Happy Birthday, Cedric," Estella replied.

"Happy Birthday Champ," Padma added.

"I haven't won yet," said Cedric.

"Keyword: yet" Padma pointed out. 

Enough time passed for the sun to go down and the stars to come out, but the three students remained on their picnic blanket talking about various topics before landing in a conversation about the future. A topic that was recently familiar to Estella.

"There's no way you're still going to be friends with us after you leave Hogwarts," Padma insisted.

"Again, I don't see why not?" Cedric defended. 

"Because how are you going to go out into the world and begin your life then call us up on the weekends to catch up? That's weird!" Padma exclaimed.

"Frankly, I don't remember our friendship having an expiration date," Cedric.

"That's actually such a sad way to put it," Estella pointed out.

"I mean, technically all friendships have an expiration date, we just don't know when it is. Tomorrow isn't promised" Padma shrugged.

"Merlin, did you have to go that far? Today is supposed to be a celebration of life!" Cedric joked.

"It is! Geez," Padma said defeated.

Estella looked up at the sky, though some light pollution made a few stars invisible, she could still see so many. She spotted the Scorpius constellation and immediately thought about Draco. Which then made her think about the journey that led up to this point. Between her parents, Luna, Draco, Padma, and Cedric, she found herself living a very happy life. She would have given up ever seeing the night sky again to keep it that way. 

A/N: 

I'm not sure if y'all are aware of what's coming or not.

I don't think I'm ready.

Nonetheless, I hope you enjoyed it and keep reading :)