Chapter XV

Chapter XV

"They will be treated like royalty,"

—Bob Mitchell

Caleb sighed as he stood in the foyer. He was currently waiting for Zoe to come downstairs, as he had a very important question for her.

Zoe was the sister to the Queen of the Ocean. While not originally royal blood, she was now. Caleb required her assistance to go down and have a chat with them on behalf of the Society.

Apparently, multiple ships had been attacked, and it was obviously one of the supernatural beings that lived in the ocean. The higher-ups asked Caleb to investigate. They knew he was near a portal, and he also had an in with a relative, so he was an obvious choice.

Caleb looked up and saw Zoe come down the stairs. She had been talking with Estal about something. When she saw him, she walked over to him. "Estal was just telling me everyone's whereabouts."

"I know where some of them are." Caleb answered.

Zoe nodded. "The one I was mainly concerned about was Draco and Fai, but apparently they're in the fairy realm right now."

"Really? Why are they there?"

"Something about Fai proving she deserves to fight Lucifer." Zoe answered as she pulled out her phone.

"Right." Caleb muttered, opening the door for her. Zoe nodded in thanks before walking towards his truck.

Caleb sighed before he unlocked it and hopped in. Zoe did the same, and then buckled herself. As the engine purred to life, Caleb glanced at her. "Again, I'm sorry about this. The Society wouldn't send me if it wasn't a desperate situation."

Zoe smirked. "What's so special about you, Silver?"

Caleb raised an eyebrow. "There's a lot you don't know about me, Cee."

"Obviously," She scoffed, "So why don't you tell me?"

"That would be releasing confidential information. I can't very well do that now, can I?"

Zoe rolled her eyes. "You aren't that special."

"Oh, yes I am. Besides, the abilities and powers of every Hunter is a closely guarded secret. Only in battle do we reveal them, or when it's necessary."

"I know you have a chain. A magic chain."

"Yes."

"You command it with magic too." Zoe said, leaning forward. "You sure you aren't actually a witch?"

"You can smell the human on me, Zoe. I know that. You're a Sea Serpent, you prey on human flesh."

Zoe sighed. "I won't deny that."

"It's common knowledge." Caleb said, tapping the steering wheel. "And, I'll take that as a yes."

Zoe didn't say anything to that. Caleb glanced at her, but she was staring out the window, ignoring him. He turned back to the road, deciding that silence was probably best right now.

After driving to the beach, Caleb parked his car. Zoe quickly got out. Caleb sighed a she closed the door. He adjusted his jacket as he looked out at the sea.

The harsh winter wind blew against him, and he shivered slightly. Zoe walked up towards him and then looked at him. "I don't know how those under the sea will react to your presence."

"I'm used to being hated." Caleb muttered. Flashes from the past bubbles up into the front of his mind. He hid his emotions and looked at the ocean, trying to distract himself.