Chapter XIV

Chapter XIV

"It has been said 'time heals all wounds'. I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them in scar tissue and the pain lessens. But, it is never gone,"

—Rose Kennedy

The screams kept the entire pack up.

Michal could barely relax in his bed without his wolf pawing at him, trying to get him to take care of the feral creature destroying his home.

So instead, he sat in the kitchen, drinking coffee. It was one of the only things to do at this point.

He stood there, shirtless and in sweatpants. He leaned against the marble counters, the mug warm against his hands. His hair was disheveled and bed worn, showing his failed attempt to rest. Michal knew he'd have dark circles under his eyes tomorrow. It wouldn't be a pretty sight. He'd probably have to skip training.

No, I can't. If I do that then it will only show weakness.

Michal sighed, taking another sip. As he did so, a familiar scent drifting in, telling him a someone was approaching. He looked up to see his little sister coming in.

Fawn was only fourteen, and had just started high school this year. She had dark, frizzy black hair that she tamed by keeping it cut into a pixie cut. Her skin was dark, showing off her African heritage. Her eyes were a dark brown and were currently filled with sleep. She yawned before grabbing a mug. "Please, let me save some." Her voice was raw from lack of sleep. Michal simply nodded.

She gladly poured herself some and then added some creamer. She sat herself atop the counters, her legs swinging off the side. Fawn sipped her coffee, her eyes dropping every so often.

"You guys have a little party in here?"

Michal looked up to see Peter standing there. His curly black hair was even crazier than usual, and his caramel eyes were clouded. He wore boxers and an unbuttoned shirt, as if he actually wore that. Michal rolled his eyes. "Sure, Pete."

Peter nodded, simply grabbing a beer out of the fridge. Peter was only nineteen, but he still drank. It was something Leyna had tried to stop her cousin of doing, but he clearly didn't care.

Fawn rolled her eyes, taking another drink of her coffee. "You're stupid."

"And you're too young for coffee."

"Am not! Michal was drinking this back when he was in seventh grade!"

"He was also training to be an alpha at that time. It was needed." Peter retorted, taking a swig of beer.

Michal sighed. "It's too exhausting hearing you argue."

"Will that wretched beast calm itself?"

Michal looked towards the entrance of the kitchen. Yvan stood there, his skin an ashen gray and dark circles already present on his face. He rubbed his forehead, obviously trying to wake himself up. Yvan gave them each a horrid glare before grabbing a bag of tea. Michal watched him grab a mug and fill it with water. He then stuck it in the microwave and watched it boil.

"You can't sleep either then, can you?" Peter asked, tapping the bottle against his front teeth.

Yvan scowled. "Who can when that— that thing is snarling so late at night?"