Prologue VII

Prologue VII

"Trying to run away is never the answer to being fully human. Running away from the immediacy of our experience is like preferring death to life,"

-Pema Chödrön

She couldn't keep going. Her body screamed as she lifted her legs. Every breath she took in caused sharp pains to fill her chest. How could she survive? She had to. She had to get away, there was no other choice.

She couldn't stay in that godforsaken place anymore.

The amount of evil that circulated it was enough to show her that if she stayed with the society, she certainly would wind up dead, or worse.

It didn't help that her family was still with them. Her little sister, her mother, her sister...

She wanted to turn back. To save them too. But she knew they were right on her tail. Even though she had spent months planning her escape, it didn't help her. She was being pursued by them.

She could wind up dead.

Her legs almost gave out, so she quickly latched herself into a tree, panting. The sharp pains were still there. She probably broke a rib, or two.

Which attack, though? Was it the one with the bat, or the one with the whip?

Either way, she could barely stand.

Carefully, she began to chant. Using her life force was the only chance she had. If she was able to say the right spell-

She watched her hands glow a soft blue, and then everything turning black and white. A smile appeared on her face. She was invisible and unable to be tracked.

She hastily pushed her self off the tree and continued onward.

From what she remembered, the closest town was just a few miles ahead. It'd be a long and horrible trip, but she'd make it.

It was called Points Brooke. A supernatural town. She was hoping to stay at a motel anonymously and treat her wounds there. Then, she'd disappear completely.

Yes, that would be ideal.

****

She winced as she pulled her shirt off. Somehow, she managed to get into the motel and get a room without being questioned. Maybe it was the fact most people that come to this place were running from something.

Sighing, she gently pressed her fingers against the bruises. Dark, black, bruises. She winced at the sharp pain. First things first was healing her broken ribs.

Not that she was an expert on spells, but she had stolen a book on them. She carefully flipped through it. Once she found the spell, she put her hands above the injured area and began to the chant.

The scent of forest began to waft around her. She saw a soft green haze beginning to fill the room. Leaves blew past her. She watched as they began to circle together until they moved into her ribs. As soon as they were all inside her, she could feel her bones getting stitched up. A few moments later, and she was healed.

Exhaustion filled her. She was starving as well, but she could barely move. That spell took up a large part of her life force, and she needed to rest.

She'd get something in the morning.

****

"Thanks for coming!" The cashier said, cheerfully saving at her.

She nodded, gently taking her food. She carefully walked to a table, sitting down. Soft rain drizzled outside, making the town looks even more sleepy. She sighed and took a bite of her sandwich.

The taste was almost orgasmic in her mouth, and she welcomed it. Her stomach growled in anticipation as she swallowed. After her first bite, she ravished the sandwich, finishing it in a little over a minute.

Carefully, she wiped her mouth. She hoped no one had seen her. She carefully eyed the other patrons, though they were either talking to their companions or stuck in their own world.

She took a sip of her iced tea, allowing the sweetness to coat her mouth. She sighed, happy.

It would be a nice stay in this town, even though it would be short.

The bell chimed. She glanced up, seeing a man wall in. His eyes were tired and he looked stressed. He was standing next to a young boy, who was looking around. Something about them...their aura was strange.

What are you? She thought, eyeing the pair.

The man looked around before his eyes met hers. Immediately, her heart skipped a beat. They were a crystal clear blue, and seemed to fill her with calm and an almost healing sense. Her worries began to wash away as they stared at one another. The man smiled softly at her, and she felt her face heat up.

She continued to eat her food, trying to ignore the bearing in her chest. Who was that man?

A few minutes passed. She was about to finish her meal when someone approached her table. "Hello there."

The voice sent shivers down her spine. She looked up and saw the man from before. He gave her a soft smile. "H-hello." She stuttered, her cheeks turning rosy.

The boy looked at her then looked away. "Dad, I'm going to go sit down."

"Okay." The man said, smiling at him. The boy said nothing else as he took his seat at a table, eating his food. The man turned back to her. "I haven't seen you around before."

"Yeah, I'm just passing through." She whispered, smiling brightly up at him.

The man looked at the chair in front of her. "May I sit down?"

"What about your son?"

"He's old enough. Besides, he doesn't like me very much anyways."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"It's no problem. Ever since his mother died he's been distant."

She frowned, seeing the sadness in his eyes. "I'm sorry. I understand the pain of losing a loved one. It's a horrid feeling."

The man looked at her. "Who's you lose?"

She sighed. "My boyfriend. We got involved in something we shouldn't have, and here I am."

"You're running from that, I gather."

"Yes. The people who killed him are after me now. I'm just trying to get away, start a new life."

The man smiled. "You can say with me for a little while, if you'd like. I'm sure the motel in town isn't as comfy. Plus, I'm sure that I could protect you in case those who are trying to hurt you come around." He winked.

Butterflies flew around her stomach. This man...she didn't know why he made her so nervous. Yet he did. She had just met him and yet she was falling for him. She didn't even know his name! Everything about him calmed her. She smiled softly.

"I'd like that."

The man smiled, though she noticed a soft blush creep onto his cheeks. "I apologize, we don't even know one another's names and yet I've asked you to live with me for a time."

"Oh! I'm Victoria. Victoria Gold."

The man smiled. "I'm Vincent McCloud. It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Gold."

"The pleasures all mine, Mr. McCloud."