Chapter Nineteen: Plan gone wrong

Start from the beginning

He turned and stared at her, "Of course it felt good, Em. I made sure you enjoyed it. But come morning, your neck will be bruised beyond recognition. For that, I am truly sorry."

Her eyes widened with shock and she touched her neck, "Are you certain? It throbbed awhile ago but it feels fine now."

"Trust me. You'll want to cover it up."

"What did you do to me?"

"I was about to make love to you Em."

She bowed, her cheeks burned. "Will I be with child then?"

Dathan's face was shocked and pale. Em waited for him to feel angry. He'll blame her of course, she did offer to stay here tonight. It was her fault. And now, he was going to be a father to a servant's child.

But his shoulders shook and a snigger escaped his throat. She lifted her head and saw he was laughing at her. What in heavens name is wrong with him?

"What are you laughing at?" She snapped at him.

"Apologies Em, I...I can't help it."

"What is funny Dathan? That I am about to be pregnant and you find it laughable?" She threw a pillow at him, her eyes suddenly angry, "You stupid, stupid man! You're horrible! Why did I even think you've grown mature? This is just fun and games to you, is it? You don't really care what happens to me." Then the tears came.

Dathan went to her and hugged her lithe form. She sobbed against his shirt and he was rubbing her back, "Shhh, I'm sorry Em. I did not mean to upset you. I just thought you had knowledge of what was about to happen. But you're...you're an innocent, aren't you?"

"Of course I am you idiot! And now I might carrying your child in my belly. Then you find it all so funny."

"No, Em. You are not with child."

She raised her tear stained face to him, "I am not?"

"Yes."

"How do you know?"

It was his turn to be embarrassed, how does he explain this to her? "Well, I , er... something has to happen to me as well before a child can be conceived. What we did was ummm... just a part of it. But no babe shall come out it, I swear."

She sighed with relief then sagged back into his arms, "No wonder you laughed!"

Dathan chuckled and cried out when she punched his sides, "That hurt Em."

"Serves you right. You knew the answer but you chose to laugh at me. I was worried sick you nitwit!"

"I'm sorry. Truly am. Will you ever forgive me?"

"Just promise me, you won't laugh again."

"I'll try."

"Good enough." She wiped her tears away, "Then I accept your apology."

"Thank you Em."

They held each other in comfortable silence. The room began to feel cold. Dathan stood and threw the kindling into the logs. Small pits of flame licked the surface and began to burn the wood.

Em used the chance to straighten her dress. She also let her hair down least someone saw her neck. Tomorrow, she'll have to wear a high necked gown.

"There, that should warm us up." Dathan stood back and the fire had grown bigger.

"I'd better go, Dathan."

He knelt down and held her hands, "Stay Em. Please."

"I can't—"

"Just hold me. Until I fall asleep. Can you do that?"

Well, that can be done. She used to hold his hand when he had nightmares when they were little. Now, what he needed was someone to hold him against his troubles. That was her plan from the start. Things have gotten out of hand.

Dathan squeezed her hand and his eyes begged her to say yes. This was the real him. He was strong willed on the outside but soft and sad on the inside. No one knew this side of him, except her. He never showed it to anyone and had kept it to himself for so long. Her heart bled for him.

"Alright. But only until you fall asleep."
******

Lydia's curiosity got the best of her. She pushed her door open and tiptoed in the hallway. Dathan's room was three doors down and she could see a faint glow of light. He was still up.

She didn't know what to tell him other than she was sorry how the evening turned. From the short display Vincent had shown, this other son was the least favoured. She wanted to know why and he may be the only one who can answer her.

She was two doors away when she heard footsteps coming up. Remembering her state of dress, she ran back to her room. She made in time that Damian only caught a glimpse of her white night tail.

He stood outside her door, "Are you still awake Lydia?"

She leaned against the door, her heart beating wildly. He'll be gone soon, his room was just across his brother's. But he surprised her when he knocked lightly.

"I can see your shadow against the door. Will you open up?"

Blast it. She forgot to blow out the candle. Well, she planned to but she was too occupied making her way towards Dathan's room.

"I am not dressed, my lord."

"I feared as much. Have you been sneaking down the corridor, my lady?"

She gasped, "I was not!"

He chuckled, "Pray you do not find your way in my chambers. I am quite upset right now."

Really? Then why bother to even speak with her? Did he expect she planned to wait on his bed and seduce him?

"I assure you my lord, your virtue is safe from me."

It sounded so idiotic having this exchange behind the door. But she wouldn't dare show herself in her sleepwear.

"Good to know. Do rest and I'll see you on the morrow. Goodnight Lydia."

His footsteps moved away and only until she heard his door closed did she collapsed on her the floor. She'd really have to start sneaking better.