Part 33 - Celebrations

Part 33 – Celebrations ©2018 CarolynAnnAish

Philip urged, "We must find somewhere to hide. I hope they don't bring the long-bows before we're out of range!"

"Follow me," Arpius said, "I'm remembering this place and my being here. We follow the river for a little way, then we can go up and find the road out of here."

They clambered to their feet and followed the prince as he strode away from the castle, following the river's edge. Lady Bradley, assisted by Philip, still gasped to gain normal breath.

Liliana held her skirts up so she wouldn't trip and with the fabric in her hands, she folded her arms. With a determined set to her face, she blocked any hope Arpius had of offering or giving her assistance.

Hoping he was taking the right direction, the prince led the way through the woods and up the hill. Soon they were out of sight from the castle, walking in trees. He said, "We'll see the road soon and we can walk along it, heading away from Dragmore. If we see or hear anyone coming from the castle, we must run down into the trees," the prince said, pointing to the forest on the other side.

They made good progress, but all were more out of breath than before.

"Someone's coming!" Philip said, "I hear horses."

They hurried down the incline to the trees.

Lady Bradley sank to the forest floor, as did Liliana. Nance sat behind the largest tree in sight. Philip returned to where the prince crouched behind a stump, watching the road, knowing from the sound of many hooves, it was a large company. He couldn't tell whether the sound came from the castle gates or from the road they had ridden leading to them.

Spying the king's standard, with King Lemuel riding close behind it, flanked by captains, Arpius called in jubilation, "It's Father! It really is! I can't believe it! He did come. I didn't think they'd let him!"

The prince ran up from the woods, waving both hands, smiling broadly. King Lemuel pulled on the reins of his horse and with his hand up, he halted the company. Turning, Arpius beckoned the escapees from their hiding place.

Liliana found it difficult to walk up the slope with her heavy ball gown draping around her. It felt like cold soggy porridge. The gown was no longer beautiful. The blue wasn't blue, nor the white, white, anymore. The lace looked forlorn and pieces of moss and slime from the moat were caught in the fills and flounces. Dirt and clay from the bank clung to the silk beneath like brown and yellow dung. Her golden hair hung in wet tendrils around her pale face. Shivering, she attempted a lame curtsy. Nance followed.

Turning, the prince watched as Philip helped Lady Bradley up the slope. She smiled a wan smile, saying, "I pray I never have to meet you out on the highway again like this, Sire."

The company broke into cheers and laughter.

"Come, Father; we have some friends to rescue," the Prince said. He told the king about the capture and incarceration of Captain Randall and the company.

***

Three months later...

Prince Arpius and Lady Liliana said their wedding vows beneath 'their tree,' which was in full bloom. Petals drifted, dancing down on the couple, adding to the beauty of this breath-taking sunny spring day.

The prince had knelt beneath this same tree, soon after she had returned home from Dragmore Castle, requesting that Liliana allow him to 'court' her so they could be reacquainted. When she agreed, he walked with her to the castle where he asked permission of Lord Chester to court his daughter with marriage in view.