Part 11 - More Wisdom

Joseph entered the sitting chamber, which both he and Philip shared. Moving out on the balcony, he again dropped to his knees, praying, "Oh Dear God in Heaven; I can't leave here without knowing I have your help. Please protect Philip; please spare his life. Help me to do what's right; not just what I want to do. Grant me even more wisdom in this matter; help me not to break my promise, yet help me rescue Philip."

Breathing heavily, Joseph knew that wrong moves could hasten Philip's death. Castle and city soldiers joining together to deal with this abduction would mean that the kidnappers would scatter. "Kidnappers," Joseph breathed the word. "Yes, there'll be more than just Floyd. He spoke of others who need money more than I do. A bunch of thieves -that's who Floyd would mean -people who 'need' money -and Floyd, if he'd done this alone, he wouldn't have asked for a hundred crown, he likely would have wanted ten, or perhaps twenty. Please, God, help me find out where Philip is being held. I can't do this alone, can I, Lord?"

Unrolling the scroll, Joseph told himself he must slow down his thoughts, and use wisdom to work through any clue that Philip might have included in the ransom note. As he reread the note, the word 'floydfeit' flew out at him. Although the 'l,' the 'y,' and the 'd' were part of the word 'forfeit,' nevertheless they were there, making the name, 'Floyd.' I am right! Floyd is involved; he's likely the main kidnapper or the instigator of it all.

There wasn't another spelling error on the scroll; just perhaps the name, Tomas; it usually was spelled with a Th. Joseph prayed for understanding as to what this meant, but the answer did not come to his racing mind.

"Philip, Tomas, Steven, Vermont; and the 'TOM, the ST, and the V, are all larger letters than even the 'P' for Philip. TOM-ST-V; what could it be, other than a person -perhaps a place? -It might be the place where Philip is being held. And I know that 'Philip' is his first name, but what about the other names? Do they mean anything?"

Joseph rolled the scroll and prayed again, "Lord, I trust in you; and you've promised that if we acknowledge you in all our ways, you'll guide us. So, Lord, please, direct me now. Tell me, show me please, how I can keep my promise, yet leave this castle to help Philip."

Jumping up, Joseph exited the sitting room and broke into a run. He bumped into Sir Pippin as he turned into the corridor.

"Well young man, yes, you should be in a hurry; we're waiting for you to join us -you left your place, Sir Joseph!" Pippin smoothed the chain he wore around his neck and straightened the medallion hanging low on his chest.

"Sir Pippin; what's your cousin, Philip's, full name?"

Frowning at this unexpected question, Pippin answered, "Why, it's Philip Charles, and Pippin of course."

"Philip, Charles, Pippin. Of course," Joseph said. Side-stepping, he said, "I must attend the king, Sir Pippin."

As the adviser responded, "That's what you're supposed to be doing, Sir Joseph."

Joseph walked as fast as he could without running, then, turning a corner ahead of Pippin, he bolted down the stone steps, hurrying to the council chambers where he expected the king to be. But King Lemuel was not there. Joseph raced up the steps to meet Pippin awaiting him at the top.

"In the library, Sir," Pippin said, adding as Joseph ran ahead, "We're looking at some of the ancient laws of Justiceburg. And you're not supposed to run!"

Joseph found the king seated at a desk in the library, surrounded by his scribes, two military leaders, and the other two counselors. Breathing heavily, Joseph wove his way to the desk.

"Ah, Joseph," King Lemuel said, his eyes lighting up before clouding to see Joseph's ashen face.

Joseph dropped to his knees. Taking the king's right hand in his, he kissed the king's seal ring as he had seen others do when they had a burdensome request.