Part 4 - Meeting the King

It was late in the day when the summons came. 

Joseph, escorted by Sir Pippin, trembled, more so when he stood before King Lemuel, who sat on his silver and gold throne in the throne room of the royal castle.

The massive chamber was practically empty. Joseph felt overawed by the size and beauty of his surroundings.

He was aware of a smaller throne beside the king's throne and that a queenly figure sat upon this throne, but he dared not gaze upon Her Majesty; his eyes were directed to the floor at his own feet.

Joseph had not believed he would have to stand before the king's throne. It seemed every nerve in his body reacted to his emotions; his heart thumped in his throat and he was unable to prevent his body from quaking.

"Apples, of Justiceburg," Sir Pippin announced.

The king stared down at the young lad who bowed, then knelt, awkwardly, due to his nervousness.

Lifting his head, and standing on the royal command, "Rise," Joseph looked briefly at His Royal Majesty who wore a jewel-studded golden crown. He had no idea how old the king might be. The king's dark hair was matched by a thick, bushy beard. A well-groom mustache seemed thin in comparison. To the boy, he appeared fierce and uncompromising; the ultimate judge under God.

Joseph's trepidation made him unable to imagine that the king might have kindly eyes.

The king spoke and his deep voice reverberated in the great chamber, causing Joseph to shiver as if from the cold.

"Apples. —You were born in this city. Your father, Elam, was a loyal soldier who lived in the city, married to your mother whose name was Merola. When your father died after a riding accident, while riding in the night on the king's service, your mother was left alone. She had no income and no home. Sadly, to recall, Merola is buried in the orchard outside the city walls. Therefore, Apples, you have been an orphan from before you were two years old. We have been unable to discover any living relatives anywhere in our kingdom."

The king spoke about the way Joseph lived, and his work. It sounded to the lad, as though King Lemuel talked of someone else. Joseph felt strange and detached.

"Apples, we would be pleased to have you dine with us now."

Joseph was overwhelmed at this invitation—or command—and felt disagreeable, out of place, therefore reluctant. But one could not say 'no' to the king!

The dining chamber to which Joseph was ushered, was small and private, one the king and queen rarely used. Meals were normally partaken in the Great Hall with a large company of people, the king's court. When guests or visitors came, or there were special occasions, the Banquet Hall was used.

Because only the king and queen and Sir Pippin were present, the lad was more nervous than ever. Whenever he looked up, he felt royal eyes upon him.

Joseph took every care to behave as best he knew how, although he ate little of the food. His stomach churned into a cramping knot. He felt out of place and wished he could leave.

After the sumptuous meal, the king commanded they move to a sitting chamber. King Lemuel explained to Joseph the reason why he was there, also why he had been followed.

"Both the queen and I were the only children of our parents and we ourselves have no children; therefore, the Kingdom of Justiceburg is without an heir.

"For over five years, we searched our kingdom for the right person to train for the position of king. No one has been suitable as far as we, Queen Lois and I, have determined. We prayed, every day, petitioning God to show us who should become the next king.