Part 29 - Missing

Chapter 29 – Missing ©2018 CarolynAnnAish

The hour after midnight was up, and the ball was officially closed with an amazing display of fireworks, set off from the battlements. The sight of it lit the sky and the city with kaleidoscopic colour. 

People of all classes filled the city, the castle courtyard, and gardens. They watched the displays shooting across the sky, shouting their cheers and kudos.

Lord Dragmore was one of the last to take his leave from the royal three and their court family as they stood on the castle terrace leading to the front courtyard to farewell their guests. This was a departure from the usual when the royals would leave first and the guests would be escorted out by the attendants of the court. The king wanted his son to have as many opportunities as possible to mingle with the gentry of the kingdom.

"I wish you strength, health, and happiness in your family, for and with your adopted son, our crown prince. Thank you for a successful day and a very worthwhile night," Lord Dragmore added after receiving blessings and quotes from the royals.

Having watched the carriage drive off towards the outer archway in the wall, the prince followed his mother and father up the great castle stairway. At the top, the queen turned to him, offering, "Do you wish to talk about it, Son?"

"I wouldn't wish to keep you up, Mother. You must be exhausted."

Stepping back to them, the king spoke, "I admit to being weary too. It has been a day we will all remember —and the ball —a great success, was it not? By the way, what happened to that young lady I danced with? You did too, Arpius—Lady Liliana?" The king was oblivious to the distress of the night. Members of the court filled the stairs behind the royals, waiting.

Although Arpius didn't wish to detain his parents from their rest, the queen insisted, "Our dilemma must be discussed and a positive decision made as to what we might do on the morrow. Let's go to the East sitting chamber."

"We'll all rest easier after talking about it," agreed Pippin, who joined the growing group.

The king listened as his wife, with Lady Bradley's assistance, explained Liliana's recognition and reaction.

"We can't just leave her thinking of you with such negative emotion," the king declared, feeling responsible. "It was my idea to have Apples disappear, not yours. You said nothing about us to her?" 

The prince didn't want to tell the king all of Liliana's words to him in the castle foyer, but Philip pushed his way into the chamber, giving a graphic account of both her facial expressions and her words. "Prince Arpius said nothing of his promises about his inability to leave the castle to speak with her, nor why he did not send messages, which she further accused him about."

"She loves you very much, Arpius," the queen said, softly. "She missed out on a mother's love. She's had no one to talk with who would understand. And, and we here recognize how she would have believed in you; even then, many years ago, you were a prince among men. She understood all that we've only just admitted and accepted..."

"We'll take a carriage out to Chester and visit with her, tomorrow," the king decided. He added, "Today. After breakfast."

The prince didn't speak; he was unsure and wondered if anything would make Liliana change her mind about him. She's burning her diary, 'our book,' he remembered, wishing he could see it. Perhaps the diary holds something to bring back my memories of her... I'm sure I won't remember her being as she was tonight. I hope not...

"We should all go and see her," Philip declared; adding, "or, we could have her summoned here! We'd all be able to tell her a thing or two, wouldn't we?"

With the decision having been made, that the king and queen would go to Chester Castle after resting, to speak with both Liliana and her father, everyone headed off to bed feeling that resolve was less than a day away.

Arpius had just placed his head on the flat pillow he used when the bedchamber door opened and someone entered. Vance was out of bed first, hurrying toward the door before bowing low and saying, "Your Majesty..."

"Return to your bed, Vance. I'll speak with my son." He turned to say, "We will sit on your couch in your sitting room, Arpius. I need to share a few matters with you."

Over the next half-hour, the king told his son about the treasonous scroll and the men who had left the king's service in protest over matters against the throne.

"I did not tell you of this Arpius, not until your position was established, published and accepted.

"We've learned much from you, the queen and our court family — instead of having a meeting to announce any kind of solution, our path has been to pray, and to accept a verse from the ancient scriptures, the book of Exodus, which tells us, "The Lord shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace."

"This is what we have done, we have all 'held our peace', and we have prayed as much as we can, together, two, three or more, we prayed all week and now that you have been irrevocably installed here, we will pray that God leads us and shows us what to do next."

"Oh, Father, I'm pleased you trusted me and told me of this matter. I, perhaps, may we, can we... pray now?"

In answer, the king twisted around and slid off the couch to kneel. Arpius joined him. This was the first time they had prayed together like this, and Arpius felt warmed and accepted all over again. After they both had prayed, he said, "Father, I do believe God will work for us. He will lead the way to that nest of vipers and there will not be much for us to do except watch the Lord at work..."

"Promise, me, Son, promise me that you will do nothing to endanger yourself and always defend yourself. We will have you take some lessons in self-defense as soon as we can arrange it, but promise me you will watch and take care of yourself, do not put yourself in danger and we will do our part to make sure that you have defenders with you at all times..."

"Oh, Father —God is our defender. If we commit our way to Him and pray before stepping out, He will work for us. He is working in the fact that nothing bad has happened to anyone at the celebrations of the past week. So many people from all over our kingdom are here and have been here in our city, and there have been no signs of traitors or of evil actions."

"Sometimes, silence is not a good thing," he returned, "but I must say that we have tightened our security three-fold."

"I'm good with the 'quiet'," Arpius said, smiling, "Peace is wonderful; it's in the storm that we need to hold on and keep faith..."

The king stood, and Arpius copied. Opening his arms, the father embraced his son and kissed him on his cheeks, one by one. "I love you, Arpius. Sleep well."

"I love you too, Father, and will pray for you sleep well too."

***

It was half after three in the morning when Captain Karl shook Prince Arpius awake, telling him, "I'm sorry to wake you, Your Highness, but Lord Chester sent a messenger to our castle. He, the messenger said that Lord Chester is beside himself. He stayed awake for his daughter, Lady Liliana's return but the carriage came home empty, he said. It arrived at two hours after midnight, that late. He wants to know where his daughter is, of course. Nance the maid who was with her is also missing."

Arpius rose, and Vance appeared, dressed. The latter snatched up the prince's coronet, ready to place it on his head as he had been commanded not to allow the Prince to leave his chambers without it.

"Liliana left in Dragmore's carriage, Karl. What do you know about him?"

"Not much; he's one of the richest of all castle lords; a widower, I believe. Keeps to himself. He has a well-trained army out there, I've heard. Lots of men, not many women live there. He was the last to leave, wasn't he? And it was the same carriage. It had returned."

"Don't wake our king or queen. Come with me; let's ride out to Chester Castle; it's only two miles; we'll be there in a few minutes with Bandit and Wanderlea, won't we? I'm sure if I rode before, I can do it now..."

Philip joined them, and a groom fetched the horses.